Humans Caused Demise Of Australia's Megafauna, Evidence Shows

Nicholas

ScienceDaily (Jan. 22, 2010) — A new scientific paper co-authored by a University of Adelaide researcher reports strong evidence that humans, not climate change, caused the demise of Australia's megafauna -- giant marsupials, huge reptiles and flightless birds -- at least 40,000 years ago.

Find it HERE!

Interesting article.... Although this type of writing bothers me a little. It seems that they are making far reaching conclusions that are beyond the scope of their actual data. I am not saying they are wrong. It just seems like more speculation dressed in a tuxedo. I am curious what the actual paper says.

Thanks for the link.

Interesting article.... Although this type of writing bothers me a little. It seems that they are making far reaching conclusions that are beyond the scope of their actual data. I am not saying they are wrong. It just seems like more speculation dressed in a tuxedo. I am curious what the actual paper says.

Thanks for the link.

I do agree with you. What they call scientific journalism tends not to be fully accurate. Or uses studies which are not fully confirmed.. etc.

It is a flawed form of media, but most times this is because the writer knows little about that field and has to portray it to the general public who also aren't experts.

Right next to that article is this one from 2006 -- looks like there may have been more than one cause -- I know that man and other things may have caused the disappearance of large mamoths, etc. in the US more recently -- I can see man as a partial cause but since the human population was so low and they didn't have trains and guns until recently (think bison), it seems to me that there must have been something more but hey, what do I know....

Lessons Learned From Drought Deaths 40,000 Years Ago

ScienceDaily (Nov. 29, 2006) — Drought-stricken Australia should heed a warning from a new study that shows a series of massive droughts killed giant kangaroos and other "megafauna" in south-east Queensland 40,000 years ago, according to researchers from the Queensland University of Technology.

Right next to that article is this one from 2006 -- looks like there may have been more than one cause -- I know that man and other things may have caused the disappearance of large mamoths, etc. in the US more recently -- I can see man as a partial cause but since the human population was so low and they didn't have trains and guns until recently (think bison), it seems to me that there must have been something more but hey, what do I know....

Lessons Learned From Drought Deaths 40,000 Years Ago

ScienceDaily (Nov. 29, 2006) — Drought-stricken Australia should heed a warning from a new study that shows a series of massive droughts killed giant kangaroos and other "megafauna" in south-east Queensland 40,000 years ago, according to researchers from the Queensland University of Technology.

I totaly agree with you.I see more than one cause of extinction on Australian megafauna. See, for instance, the climate 40000 years ago.ICE AGE INFO