This is a strange one.  It comes from near Seneca Lake, Finger Lakes Region of NYS, middle Devonian.  The rock is definitely shale as it breaks away in thin layers.  I thought by the edge photo that it could be a Crinoid Calyx.  But with the fossilized shapes (blue lines) on one side of the rock...I don't know.  The shapes on the "top side" of the rock could be remnants of some thing else. 

Thanks

Greg

20210313_075304 (2).jpg

20210313_075310 (2).jpg 20210313_075310 (2)_LI.jpg

To my eye it looks like a ventral of... something. It could be a brachiopod or something else, but I think revealing its identity might require some exploratory prep. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I would have pegged this as an internal mold of a brachiopod valve, with sediment in the concave section. 

Not sure any kind of positive ID is possible. I probably would not have kept it. 

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

With what most of what I find is most of the time just a fraction that is "poking" out of rock.  I generally explore it...if it turns out to be something I keep it...if it's not anything or the fraction is all I find...I then throw it away.  Because I'm limited because of health reasons as to where I can go searching...and I'm new to this...so much can be a real discovery for me.  I know many of my "finds" most people wouldn't even look at...throw away...but, are important to me.

Thanks

Greg

26 minutes ago, grg1109 said:

With what most of what I find is most of the time just a fraction that is "poking" out of rock.  I generally explore it...if it turns out to be something I keep it...if it's not anything or the action is all I find...I then throw it away.  Because I'm limited because of health reasons as to where I can go searching...and I'm new to this...so much can be a real discovery for me.  I know many of my "finds" most people wouldn't even look at...throw away...but, are important to me.

Thanks

Greg

Greg, 

I hope I wasn't coming across as condescending.  :(  That was not my intention, at all. 

After 25 years of collecting, I have become a bit more discerning in what I keep. 

I have tons of fossils that, when I first started collecting, were amazing to me. 

But now, with experience and time behind me, I tend to dismiss what I cannot positively identify, or that is of lesser quality than what I may already have. 

All of it is interesting to me, but not all of it makes the cut to be added to the collection. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

No, no...I'm sorry, I didn't mean what I said as a rebuff...just an explanation.  There are fossils and parts of fossils that I've moved away from as well.  For example: Crinoid Stems...I used to put important credence to every bit and piece I found...now unless they're exceptional...I either throw them away or "chop" through them to get at what I want.  This somewhat goes for Trilobite Cephalons and pygidiums as well...although I don't chop through them or throw them away  I don't hold them in as high regard as I used to...I just wished they were whole Trilobites...or in the case of Cephalons weren't always seemingly to be missing all or part of an eye.

These rocks/fossils I'm working on now were an amazing gift from a friend...I'm so thankful to him.

No, you're fine and I wholly understand where you are coming from.

Thanks

Greg

• I Agree 1

And we're enjoying your process of discovery, Greg. :) 

It is easy for us who spend a lot of time in the field to toss away stuff we're not interested in or that doesn't meet our standards for bringing home. I know I've tossed aside what others would consider a fantastic find. :D And the more we collect, the more discerning we become because, well, our homes are only so big!

And we all have limits, and we don't all have access to the greatest material, so we work with what we have. It can also include challenges with health, time, access, and transportation. But keeping at it is what you are doing, and we appreciate that. We'll continue cheering you on!

In terms of a full trilobite, it is really just a matter of time. :) When I first restarted collecting, it took me a year or two before I found my first full one. Now they encroach on my wife's space. :P 

I would have picked this up so I could put it under the microscope. But then again, I pick up anything that even vaguely has poop (or other trace fossil) potential.   :D  Actually, I pick up anything I can't identify. I wouldn't toss this until picked away on other side to see what is there.

I first began this adventure last summer.  I hunted creeks and would pick up what I saw as potentials.  Of course all were weathered and worn...some just "mud molds", but that didn't bother me.  Then I was given permission to search a site which was part of the Tully Limestone formation.  I'm not very good at hammering, but did manage to get about a half a dozen small rocks.  When I got home I found this strange fossil.  I asked (online) what it could be.  The answer was a Thorax segment from a Dipleura dekayi trilobite!  First,  I never thought I would find a Trilobite...I figured I would have to buy one.  Second, I had no idea that Trilobites could get so large.  So after visually searching for more on the rocks that I had collected...the next day, I went back.  This time I found a large crack in the rock I had been working from and managed to bring the large piece(to me) back home.  I left it in the car overnight as I was exhausted.  The next day, I took it out of the car and used a hammer and chisel.  The third whack and the edge of the rock opened.  Three pieces.  There, I found a full Trilobite!  I just put away my tools, picked up the pieces of rock...came in the house and marveled at my luck!  It turned out apparently it's a rare species of Phacops and is as of yet to be described as far as I know.  I don't care...I got myself a whole Trilobite!  LOL

Greg

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I would have pegged this as an internal mold of a brachiopod valve, with sediment in the concave section. 

Agreed. I couldn't name them either. They have a concave pedicle that is strongly bisected by internal structure. And a flatish brachial. I wouldn't be surprised if the brachial valve is still there. It would be tough to cleave off, but a little exploratory prep wouldn't hurt.

2 hours ago, grg1109 said:

I first began this adventure last summer.  I hunted creeks and would pick up what I saw as potentials.  Of course all were weathered and worn...some just "mud molds", but that didn't bother me.  Then I was given permission to search a site which was part of the Tully Limestone formation.  I'm not very good at hammering, but did manage to get about a half a dozen small rocks.  When I got home I found this strange fossil.  I asked (online) what it could be.  The answer was a Thorax segment from a Dipleura dekayi trilobite!  First,  I never thought I would find a Trilobite...I figured I would have to buy one.  Second, I had no idea that Trilobites could get so large.  So after visually searching for more on the rocks that I had collected...the next day, I went back.  This time I found a large crack in the rock I had been working from and managed to bring the large piece(to me) back home.  I left it in the car overnight as I was exhausted.  The next day, I took it out of the car and used a hammer and chisel.  The third whack and the edge of the rock opened.  Three pieces.  There, I found a full Trilobite!  I just put away my tools, picked up the pieces of rock...came in the house and marveled at my luck!  It turned out apparently it's a rare species of Phacops and is as of yet to be described as far as I know.  I don't care...I got myself a whole Trilobite!  LOL

Greg

Oh, the homalolonotids could reach quite impressive sizes! Dipleura dekayai in the Devonian is well matched by its Silurian predecessor Trimerus delphinocephalus. Just as a FYI, we have no Phacops here anymore. That genus is restricted to non-North American trilobites. In your material, you are looking at mid-Devonian phacopids such as Eldredgeops rana. You also have other trilobites to look forward to, such as Greenops sp. Those you will know by their spiny bottoms.