val horn

seeing the prior questions about large tillybones I would appreciate evaluation of the two that I have found that I believe are large tilly bones.  The fossil from apollo beach (first 4 puotos)  appears to have been a find from a beach replenishment as there were large quantities of turtle shell and this fossil when  next to nothing the next time I can to look.  There appear to be clear fish spines along its length.

The second fossil is from southern Maryland PG county when a new school was put in and collecting pond was established and an incredible number of shark teeth and other fossils from late cretaceous to paleogene were jumbled together in the dump pile.  I am thinking (hoping) it is also a tillybone because of its general shape but it lacks the clarity of the florida fossil.  All opinions and suggestions will be appreciated and  welcome.

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

The shape is close but at this resolution you lost me at the texture. The latter doesn't look like bone to me.

• I Agree 1

12 hours ago, val horn said:

The fossil from apollo beach (first 4 puotos) 

Hi there, as Rockwood is saying a few of the photos are a bit blurry but the first four photos are indeed a tilly bone. The second set of photos looks more like a suggestively shaped rock.

IMG_0248.jpg.f043e7decc543af2f0a6a0a9e1ae2d1b.jpg.bcec20fa9b45cd84cef1a612b06bea5b.jpg

Here is a set of modern/recent tilly bone examples of the same swollen fish fin spine in your example.

TillyBone_02.jpg.60ce095125a247a91ee71b10380339fa.jpg

Cheers,

Brett 

Edited by Brett Breakin' Rocks

At some point I will cut into the second piece and see if it is fossil bone or rock.  I will let folks know what I find   Val