Glenns Ferry/Poison Creek formations of Lake Idaho

Garter Snake

• New Members

I've been trying to identify multiple fossils found recently in deposits associated with the Glenns Ferry/Poison Creek formations of Lake Idaho. Here are a couple of photos of fossil jaw bones with teeth collected recently and an aggregate fossil containing petrified wood, fish bones, veterbrae and a jaw. I believe the large jaws are from Mylocheilus robustus. The smaller jaws, I am unsure of. Collected near Grand View, ID and all fossils were associated with Oolite deposits. 

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Pliocene I believe. I did some collecting in Lake Idaho deposits in far eastern Oregon when I was a boy. Some really beautiful red glossy fossilized fish bones very much like those in this post. I believe there are some previous posts here on TFF on finds from ancient Lake Idaho. Welcome to the forum Garter Snake!

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members

From my reading, Lake Idaho was around at varying levels from 12 million years ago until 2 million years ago. The large bones are 2-4 mya. 

• New Members

I have a question. I found some fossils I wasn't able to identify. They have the great desert varnish on them. They are also associated with Lake Idaho/Oolite/Poison Creek formation. Can anyone identify them? The photos are the same pieces flipped over. They might just be rocks.

DSC_0047.thumb.JPG.80aefba1ce0e853dbdaf3fc8f82711fb.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG