Another Sift Down The Creek

Taxman56

Today's trip I though was pitiful until I found a few sawfish teeth or maybe something better. I stopped at a more popular spot with park benches for a walk down the Ram. Didn't expect to find anything and I almost didn't, just a Drum bean.

Went to my usual spot and right off saw the 2 or 3 sets of foot prints. Not like last week when I was the only foot prints. Temps were in the low 40's and the gravel bank I picked was soft. Sifted for a few hours but had no luck finding the sweet spot again in the gravel bar. Did some random digging at different sections and found some interesting stuff. But them my waterproof case around my neck broke and dumped a half dozen teeth back into the depths. I just emptied it before hand.post-2447-12643859050807_thumb.jpg

Around 4 I decided to see if I could find my forgotten tooth. It was gone. I was following the foot prints of at least 2 teeth whispers and didn't expect to find much. But after 1 1/2 hours upstream I found a dozen teeth and pieces and a nice shell impression. And I almost missed 2 more teeth within 2 inches of one I picked up. How the teeth whispers missed 3 teeth in one spot I don't know. This what they missed......post-2447-12643858593025_thumb.jpg

Sand Shark teeth??post-2447-12643860107185_thumb.jpg

Could be a small vert or a fluke, nice smooth concave surfacepost-2447-12643870672589_thumb.jpg

Most of the gravel banks were in the shade and still frozen and now I know what Phil meant when he said you had to "gently pry them loose". Once again I stayed way to late and it was dark and after 5 PM before I turned back. It was the old "let me find one more tooth and I'll quit". I was looking for that last one with my LED.

No fun walking down the creek in the dark and bush whacking around some nasty creek holes when its almost the low 30's. Or judging how deep that step off a log is with a LED light

SAWFISH post-2447-12643859212769_thumb.jpg The bottom one is a small one, little root left, second one is thicker bigger no "root" may not be a saw fish, Third one looks like a Eocene Sawfish from FossilsofNJ site. The top one, not sure oval cross section and top is concaved.

Some GOBLIN Teeth , the big one is 1 1/2 inchespost-2447-12643859355573_thumb.jpg

A nice partial cast of a very large brachiopod.post-2447-12643859632697_thumb.jpg

Some gastropods post-2447-12643866524488_thumb.jpg

Feel free to add any suggestions or correct something. Darn all these teeth look alike.

post-2447-1264385990515_thumb.jpg

post-2447-12643860224085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Taxman56

The one on the right maybe a bone/fish jaw??post-2447-12643878508507_thumb.jpg The one on the left maybe part of a spine?

Edited by Taxman56

that one on the right looks like an enchodus jawbone john, and the one on the left im not sure about. nice finds all around too!

Looks like you did good to me.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Yeah I guess I did, Used to finding more with a smaller sifter sitting on a milk crate in the creek.

Now if I only known your foot prints were going upstream I would of gone down stream. We need a secret code with stacked rocks to let those who know who has passed that way.

With this rain there should be a lot of stuff moved.

Yeah i guess we should have said something to you. Sorry. Hey Phil recongnize the bone on the left? You should, you picked it up and showed it to me.:)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair