Fossil Tooth (some sort of shark?)

softiesongbird

• New Members

Not too long ago I got some sort of tooth from a seller at a show. She inherited it from a family member (her mother, if memory serves) and believed it to be a megalodon tooth, but she doesn't specialize in fossils in the slightest, and it doesn't 100% look like the megalodon teeth I've seen before, plus I don't think she did extensive research because if it is indeed a megalodon tooth then I think I bought it for quite the steal. I've bought from her before, and I trust that she's not being maliciously dishonest, but I definitely want a more expert opinion. I'm certainly new to this realm and before took the seller's word for truth, so I definitely have no idea what it is, but the shape seems like a shark tooth maybe, and some of its features look pretty dang real to me so I don't currently think it's a straight-up fake fossil? Anyways, let me know what you guys think -- I tried to take pictures from a few different angles and closeups on details that seemed important, but again I'm new to this so if you've got some tips on that then please share! I can't wait to learn about whatever creature this belonged to :)

Tooth01.jpg

Tooth02.jpg

Tooth03.jpg

Tooth04.jpg

Tooth05.jpg

Tooth06.jpg

Tooth07.jpg

Tooth08.jpg

Tooth09.jpg

Platypus.:D

No, really it is a rather worn meg, I believe. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It is indeed  a Carcharocles megalodon

Edited by hemipristis
  • I Agree 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

• New Members
9 hours ago, hemipristis said:

It is indeed  a Carcharocles megalodon

9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Platypus.:D

No, really it is a rather worn meg, I believe. 

Awesome, thank you two so much!!