Rayminazzi

(changed the title and tags so there's no confusion :muahaha: thanks for everyone being a good sport)

Hey guys, found this in the pecan gap chalk in san Antonio. Is this maybe like a ptychodus tooth or ray mouth plate or something?

Thanks

PXL_20210331_213020556_compress15.jpg

PXL_20210331_213002020_compress27.jpg

PXL_20210331_213042285_compress64.jpg

PXL_20210331_213028876_compress29.jpg

Edited by Rayminazzi
  • Enjoyed 3

1 hour ago, Rayminazzi said:

ptychodus tooth

I think it is more likely something like this. A shark's crushing tooth. Some of the surface texture seems to have been eroded away.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's a real stumper. It is the right shape for a ray tooth but is more inflated and more heavily textured than an in my references. It could be a lateral Ptychodus tooth of some species. They are very elongated. Try to prep the matrix off it so we can see the root.

It looks very thin and translucent for a tooth.  Those characteristics remind me more of bivalve fragments...not sure about this one.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If this thead was from a newbie I'd bet they'd ask if it was a petrified fig lol. Other then that, no idea lol.

• I found this Informative 1

So wait, are you saying that this fossil that looks suspiciously like a pecan is from a place called Pecan Gap? ^_^

39 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

If this thead was from a newbie I'd bet they'd ask if it was a petrified fig lol. Other then that, no idea lol.

I was leaning more toward a date.  :D  Can tilly bones be wrinkly? I would love to see this once it's prepped out...:popcorn:

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

17 hours ago, Norki said:

So wait, are you saying that this fossil that looks suspiciously like a pecan is from a place called Pecan Gap? ^_^

16 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I was leaning more toward a date.  :D  Can tilly bones be wrinkly? I would love to see this once it's prepped out...:popcorn:

@GeschWhatguessed correctly

April fool's! PXL_20210331_213009901_compress14.thumb.jpg.d3dc74b2c44c3f848c7515046c0a9d78.jpg

Edited by Rayminazzi
  • Enjoyed 6

• Rayminazzi changed the title to April fools

Great, you even tricked the experts

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 4/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, JohnJ said:

It looks very thin and translucent for a tooth.  Those characteristics remind me more of bivalve fragments...not sure about this one.

:D  No wonder it was translucent.  

Nice! :default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

This is one of the greatest pranks I've seen, I'm just curious how long did it take you to create it?

• Enjoyed 1

5 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

This is one of the greatest pranks I've seen, I'm just curious how long did it take you to create it?

Only about 15 minutes with some crushed chalk and butvar in acetone. Once it dried I just "prepped" it out like any real fossil. It was pretty fun!

• Enjoyed 2

That's gives a whole new outlook on how easily people are fooled into buying fake fossils.  You and very creative!  

• I Agree 1

Hi,

I didn’t say anything to let the suspense make its way, but I suspected such a story, the fossil looked like a dry fruit, but I didn’t know which one... Well done @Rayminazzi ! :default_rofl:

Do you remember my story eight years ago ? 

Coco
  • Enjoyed 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I noticed the date right away :D! That was a real give-away with the title being as it is. You certainly did set the scene well though, being able to fool some of our experts with it.

Edit: I just noticed that he changed the title and tags later on, so maybe I would have been fooled as well.

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

:P

At least my presumption of honesty is still intact.  :raindance:

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

:P

At least my presumption of honesty is still intact.  :raindance:

Yep a beautiful brachiopod :P

• Enjoyed 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)