New find in missouri

Fortress88

• New Members

Howdy everyone! I'm from Southern Missouri and walk the creek beds all the time in search of arrowheads and more. When I was a kid 10 years ago I found this dinosaur head around rockbridge Missouri on our property. I finally wanted to find out what it belong to as only one Dinosaur has ever been identified

in missouri?.  Thank you everyone! 

20210326_211627.jpg  20210326_211606.jpg

20210326_211643.jpg  20210326_211634.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Wow, especially the first pic - Pareidolia at its best!

Note: Pareidolia is not a psychic or psychiatric disease, its normal human brain function. It allowed us to recognize human faces and enemies at a glance from fragmentary data.

So sorry, your specimen is a strangely weathered rock, not a fossil.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Fortress88 said:

What about the vertabrae?

Third pic? No vertebrae to me, sorry.

But now I can see some texture in the third pic. I am getting the feeling that it is some kind of Speleothem, something between flowstone and dripstone.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

• New Members

I can understand I just find it hard to believe that's the case. Thank you for the help! 

16173482767769126872414588169351.jpg

• Thank You 1

I agree with Franz Bernhard. 

This is geological, not a fossil. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I thought so also, but look at last pic, way down inside, sure there's no fossil involved? What's that tiny horizontal ridge that looks like saw blade?

2 hours ago, Fortress88 said:

Thank you for the help!

You are welcome!

And thanks for the additional pic. There is some radial structure, typical for some speleothems. At least, its not bone structure :).

2 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

but look at last pic, way down inside, sure there's no fossil involved? What's that tiny horizontal ridge that looks like saw blade?

I don´t see it, would you like to point it out to me? Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 2

I am not able to point it out, I'll describe differently. In the 4th picture, in the deepest part where it's dark, there are some round white things, it's in the lower foreground, actually looks more like a rope.

Or is it upper foreground?  Whichever, could this possibly be someone's art project?

I'm not seeing any fossil here - no bone texture, no bilateral symmetry, no skull or vertebra morphology. 

Weathered limestone or speleothem would be my guess here.  :unsure: 

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello Fortress88,

I am quite sure this is a really nice specimen of a speleothem, rather stalactite (growing downwards) than stalagmite (upwards) because of the tapering shape. The concentric/radial structure you see is similar to growth rings in a tree, though not necessarily counting single years.

Best regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

6 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

actually looks more like a rope.

This here?

Speleo_1.jpg.61ca7db2fc1205903fc479b5ebc63f00.jpg

These are some bumps of a speleothem to me.

6 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

could this possibly be someone's art project?

Not totally impossible, but the internal texture does not speak for this hypothesis.

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

10 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Third pic? No vertebrae to me, sorry.

But now I can see some texture in the third pic. I am getting the feeling that it is some kind of Speleothem, something between flowstone and dripstone.

Franz Bernhard

My first thought was a cave structure (stalactite/stalagmite), but had never heard the term speleothem. Thanks, I learned something new! Although it is not a fossil, it is a really fun piece - in my opinion - better than a fossil skull. But then again, I LOVE pareidolia. :D

It's a Speleothem. :hammer01:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library