Dinosaur Extinction Grounded Ancient Birds, New Research Finds

Nicholas

ScienceDaily (Jan. 26, 2010) — An abundance of food and lack of predators following the extinction of dinosaurs saw previously flighted birds fatten up and become flightless, according to new research from The Australian National University.

Find the article HERE!

OK Auspex, its your job to tell us what's right ;)

It is an interesting article though the idea that subgroups within the ratites had separate origins is not new. There is an overview of the opposing opinions on interrelationships among flightless avian groups in "The Origin and Evolution of Birds: Second Edition" (1999) by Alan Feduccia. As long ago as the late 19th century, at least one researcher proposed that the current crop arose convergently (similarities in form due to similar lifestyle and environment, many anatomical features contributing to a total optimal form for those conditions). In the 20th century many studies found at least a close relationship between ratites and tinamous, united by a primitive, "distinctive arrangment of palatal bones" - the paleognathous palate. It's true that many researchers have seen ratites as a natural group but acceptance has hardly been universal.

It is an interesting article though the idea that subgroups within the ratites had separate origins is not new. There is an overview of the opposing opinions on interrelationships among flightless avian groups in "The Origin and Evolution of Birds: Second Edition" (1999) by Alan Feduccia. As long ago as the late 19th century, at least one researcher proposed that the current crop arose convergently (similarities in form due to similar lifestyle and environment, many anatomical features contributing to a total optimal form for those conditions). In the 20th century many studies found at least a close relationship between ratites and tinamous, united by a primitive, "distinctive arrangment of palatal bones" - the paleognathous palate. It's true that many researchers have seen ratites as a natural group but acceptance has hardly been universal.

Thanks for this addition. Unfortunately science media isn't all that great or accurate, I appreciate your comment here.

Thanks for this addition. Unfortunately science media isn't all that great or accurate, I appreciate your comment here.

I read Feduccia's book a few years ago, (info still somewhat fresh in my mind) so when I read the article, it didn't sound right so I read through the chapter again.

Incidentally, Feduccia is perhaps the most vocal of the few paleontologists who still doubt that birds evolved from dinosaurs. Whatever your opinion of him for that, he seems to know a lot about Cenozoic birds.