Fossils As Artifacts

ptychodus

The First People in the New World clearly liked fossils. In some places they were the hardest materials around. Here are a few:

post-2728-12645513499579_thumb.jpg

post-2728-12645513655785_thumb.jpg

post-2728-12645513862488.jpg

post-2728-12645514020605.jpg

The celt is nice. Did you find it? It's hard to see what fossil is in it. The palmwood looks like what I would refer to a "core" - the remaining piece of a cobble from which usable flakes have been removed. What are the last 2 photos of?

Welcome to the Forum.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

JohnJ,

I did not find the celt. It is from Arkansas. It is made of petrified wood. The "core" is quite usable as a hand axe. The last piece is chert just showing a shell which is a finger rest when using the tool.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't found any personally, but I've seen a arrowhead on display at the local museum that a fossilized shell in it.

Didn't recognize the shell, and the display wasn't up long...

Nice, interesting artifacts. Here is one I found years ago on the boundary between Marion and Citrus County here in Northcentral Florida.

These endocasts of echinoids, especially Eupatagus, are common in the Inglis formation in a limited area, mainly Citrus County. Collectors are not interested in them because the durable test of Eupatagus antillarum is readily available in many exposures.

Someone was interested enough in this one to carve it with eyes. I don't doubt that this was an effigy made by a Native American, but I'll never know for sure. The object may have been decorated in other ways, but it is worn. You can still see some of the details of the cast, though. Notice the ridges radiating from the single hole carved into the oral side.

The rough area at the narrow end is where the anus was located. It appears that the periproct (the plates of the test around the anus) was not preserved, and the opening apparently offered a larger area to bind with the encompassing matrix.

I had some fun illuminating the eye-holes with red light . . . trying to imagine how the effigy might look in front of a campfire. Perhaps there was a translucent quartz pebble in the single hole.

post-42-12660998495503_thumb.jpgpost-42-12660998706968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

It is going to take me a little longer to get to sleep after staring at Harry's effigy.

I am not sure if this one counts. I just found it today at a land development site in Manatee County, FL.

While hunting, I met another hunter that regularly hunts artifacts. He suggested that because of its patina, the hole in the middle, and the vertebra's roundness, that it had been worked. He was even concerned with how I was transporting it, and offered me something to wrap it in to protect it.

I just see a cool shark vert with a hole in the middle. I hope it fits in this thread.

post-1351-12661230454028_thumb.jpg

post-1351-12661230576239_thumb.jpg

post-1351-12661230894851_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60