David And Goliath Of The Pulalius Vulgaris Crab

micropterus101

I have had the big guy for awhile but just found this little guy yesterday. I whacked the concretion with a hammer not thinking it would have a crab in it but maybe some spare parts like a claw to use on one I screw up. It broke into little tiny pieces I glued back together to get this little guy. The smallest pulalius I have in a concretion. it measures out at just under 3/4ths of an inch.

DavidandGoliath.jpg

Hey Micropterus. One cute little feller ya got there. I too have found my smallest on my last trip even though its in a much larger rock. Ive been prepping up a storm but cant wait till I get to the smaller concretions. A whole lot less time involved with those.

RB

real nice crabs I am still looking for my first complete one all I find here in North Carolina is an occasional piece of a claw

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

Hi Micropterus, nice specimens both!

Several questions....Are there lots of different genus/species of crabs from that formation/site----are there just crustaceans? or are there other sorts of things? Do most concretions have something in them? Just curious about collecting in your area...Regards, Chris

Hi Micropterus, nice specimens both!

Several questions....Are there lots of different genus/species of crabs from that formation/site----are there just crustaceans? or are there other sorts of things? Do most concretions have something in them? Just curious about collecting in your area...Regards, Chris

Chris,

These Came from the Lincoln creek Formation. There are numerous other species of Gastropods, bivalves and little studied plant material. Most of the concretions from this specific locality contain the crabs Pulalius and Paneopeus. Many of the Gastropods and bivalves are not in concretions from this specific locality but in the fine siltstone the concretions containing crabs are found in. I wish the crusteaceans were numerous but they are not. It takes alot of picking to get just a few in a days work. Each exposure is different and different stuff can be found there. up north from the lincoln creek formation is the physt formation. There is a much larger variety of concretionary fossils there, also in the quimper sandstone formation.

Edited by micropterus101

I have had the big guy for awhile but just found this little guy yesterday. I whacked the concretion with a hammer not thinking it would have a crab in it but maybe some spare parts like a claw to use on one I screw up. It broke into little tiny pieces I glued back together to get this little guy. The smallest pulalius I have in a concretion. it measures out at just under 3/4ths of an inch.

DavidandGoliath.jpg

Hi, I was just wondering the local of the smaller crab. It looks very similer to some crabs that I have. Thanks,

Jasper