A Cautionary Tale of Snow, Mud and Bear Tracks in Colorado

Crusty_Crab

16 hours ago, Crusty_Crab said:

Yes, I noticed that too, which is why I was attracted to these as there are many instances of color patterning, such as the fore and midlegs of the cricket. I've also noticed that Reduviids are commonly strikingly patterned red or orange. That seems counterintuitive being predators, since predators usually do not like to stand out. My theory is that they inhabit a unique niche, whereby they are predators to other insects, but are small enough to be predated upon by larger animals. They are red because insects generally don't see in the long wavelength spectrum (red) and so would not see it coming. Birds and mammals do, and it might serve as a warning to us not to bother it, as it can deliver a nasty bite. 

There is a very interesting documentary presented by David Attenborough on Netflix, here is the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYj-7IrjC4c

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

16 hours ago, Crusty_Crab said:

@deutscheben Thanks!

@jpc Glad you found it informative, they're a really cool (and kind of scary) family of bugs.

@LabRatKing Thanks! Do you have a picture/description of your mobile lab setup? I was actually daydreaming that it might be cool to convert an RV to one and just park it at a field spot. 

@FossilNerd Glad to hear that there's interest in insects, looks like I've found the right place!

Literally just started ordering stuff to build it out. Based on a Jeep Liberty- so far I’ve just done a little lift for ground clearance due to weighty, pulled the back seats and installed a flat floor over a custom water tank and waste tank I had made. Next step is some cabinet work for gear and such, different interior and exterior  lighting, etc.

also considering retractable awnings and a stowaway bunk for cold/bad weather.

I ordered some stock size Toyos, a 12v air compressor, and the metal to build my own bumpers. Have the sink and shower stuff already.

I’m a bit behind as lumber is too much expensive right now, so I’ve been scavenging aluminum extrusions and lightweight laminates.

I gotta be able to work with water samples and all my little aquatic invertebrates as many are to fragile to ship back to the lab alive.

10 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

There is a very interesting documentary presented by David Attenborough on Netflix, here is the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYj-7IrjC4c

Thanks! I didn't even realize he did that documentary but its very apropos!

19 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Literally just started ordering stuff to build it out. Based on a Jeep Liberty- so far I’ve just done a little lift for ground clearance due to weighty, pulled the back seats and installed a flat floor over a custom water tank and waste tank I had made. Next step is some cabinet work for gear and such, different interior and exterior  lighting, etc.

also considering retractable awnings and a stowaway bunk for cold/bad weather.

I ordered some stock size Toyos, a 12v air compressor, and the metal to build my own bumpers. Have the sink and shower stuff already.

I’m a bit behind as lumber is too much expensive right now, so I’ve been scavenging aluminum extrusions and lightweight laminates.

I gotta be able to work with water samples and all my little aquatic invertebrates as many are to fragile to ship back to the lab alive.

Wow, I was expecting an RV or truck but if you can pull it off on a liberty I'm super impressed. Definitely need to see some pictures, even while the conversion is in progress.

On 4/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, Crusty_Crab said:

I think its because they're so small, you really need a quality hand loupe to appreciate them in the field, otherwise they resemble carbonized smudges. The other problem is that the identification of insects devolves to the smallest of structures, which don't necessarily get preserved or are at an odd angle. Consequently, the best ID that can be provided is "indeterminate (order)" or family if you're lucky, which isn't as satisfying. However, if there is an appetite for them, I'll post more. 

Sorry, I meant to put a range. They range from 2mm to around 10 mm, which is the size of the wasp.  

I think it's amazing that such small delicate things can be preserved in the detail they are, when most fossils are just shell or bone and even still come out battered and fragmentary. Insects have a similar appeal to me as other compression fossils such as the Cambrian ones (if not quite the same mystique as those ancient oddballs), like opening a book and seeing a photo or engraving of things from long ago. Insects are harder to find than plants in any given formation.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:39 PM, Crusty_Crab said:

Thanks! I didn't even realize he did that documentary but its very apropos!

Wow, I was expecting an RV or truck but if you can pull it off on a liberty I'm super impressed. Definitely need to see some pictures, even while the conversion is in progress.

Goal is to keep it small, light and compact. Once the back seats are removed, the Liberty is perfect for my needs.