Fadiasforest

Weird question but i was wondering if anyone knows why my skin tests as metal on a diamond tester? I test people that come over and they don't so it's not a faulty tester. I'm stumped and can't find an answer online TIA

• 2 weeks later...

@Fadiasforest Intriguing, I have no experience  with diamond testers. But....are you getting the "metal" reading when you apply the device to yourself? If so, have you tried having someone else wield the device and apply it to you? Result? My hypothesis - no "metal" response.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I thought about that after I asked the question but haven't had a chance to try it out and see. I can't remember if I had anyone else hold it at any point so you may be absolutely right. Thank you for answering! 

I did a search on diamond testers, since I didn't have a clue about them. The model I saw featured an electrical contact that was touched by the user during testing. The simple procedure I outlined tries to control for any circuit being closed when the user touches themselves. In other words, is the procedure the causation or is the device truly measuring your bizarre metallic skin?!? :heartylaugh: 

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

6 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

The model I saw featured an electrical contact that was touched by the user during testing.

Strange!

Diamonds are very poor electrical conductors (in fact, very good insulators). But very good thermal conductors. Which is a bit of an unusual combination.

Diamond testers I know of are measuring thermal conductivity.

@Fadiasforest, would you like to show us your device? Thanks!

Franz Bernhard

It's a thermal conductivity one. It's a cheap one , but doesn't test anything else metal wrong, and consistently tests me as metal. I havent had the opportunity to test anyone else with them holding the device as of yet. I will asap so I can let you know the scoop although I suspect he may be correct. You hold it and put your hand on the back metal piece when you test things, 

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Diamond testers I know of are measuring thermal conductivity.

Yes, the model I saw did just that. However, in that process electrical current was utilized. Hence my thought that somehow a "self test" is completing a circuit and producing the lighted indicator. If the possible cyborg, Fadiasforest will have someone else use the device on her skin, then we can truly know if she is a robot or not.

When I was in graduate school there was an unused EEG machine, left over from someone's research, tucked away in a storage room. A group of us started playing with it one day and I was chosen as the test subject. A beautiful reading was flowing from the pins as I was presented various stimuli. My fellow students would lean in to get a better view of the graph and were entranced at the change in read-out under different conditions; but always there was a response. Well it became clear over time that the machine was reacting to their leaning over it, not to input from the attached leads. Indeed, it was discovered that waving ones hands over a portion of the device created wild needle jumps. Our assumption, as I recall, was that the device was not properly installed for use and was surrounded by an electrical or magnetic field. We never explored further to find the actual cause, "great minds" went on to other mysteries. 

• Enjoyed 1

I thought about that after I asked the question but haven't had a chance to try it out and see. I can't remember if I had anyone else hold it at any point so you may be absolutely right. Thank you for answering!