Coprolite ID please

himmelangst

No location unfortunately as I bought this at an auction for my toddler (who loves dinosaurs and also poop). I am dying to know what creature plopped this deuce so my son and I can learn more about it. I know some of you on here are experts on ancient excrement, thanks for your help!!
Measures: 4.5” x 1.5”

Weight: 8.5 oz

C144E0BF-F9ED-4DF5-AC14-709DBD6AAA8F.jpeg  103CA23E-9E13-4CBB-ACBB-4F067B461EAA.jpeg

59EFB10C-188F-4C86-85B5-A1084EDF3EE4.jpeg  2279359C-BB1F-402A-B546-2C1A5AD74319.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

So glad to hear that your youngster is into dino's and poop! Sounds like your son is on track to be completely awesome. 

The picture you've posted is of a poo imposter, making it even more interesting. These pseudo poos have a mysterious origin that has been hotly debated in the last two decades. Some great reading and references at: https://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2016/09/30/woosters-pseudofossil-of-the-week-its-not-what-it-looks-like/

As you can see from the competing views posted on the blog above, you own a piece of paleo history that is at the center of a long standing conversation in paleontology.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

So glad to hear that your youngster is into dino's and poop! Sounds like your son is on track to be completely awesome. 

The picture you've posted is of a poo imposter, making it even more interesting. These pseudo poos have a mysterious origin that has been hotly debated in the last two decades. Some great reading and references at: https://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2016/09/30/woosters-pseudofossil-of-the-week-its-not-what-it-looks-like/

As you can see from the competing views posted on the blog above, you own a piece of paleo history that is at the center of a long standing conversation in paleontology.

Fascinating!! Big fan of the “earth sharted” theory. Thanks for this!!

Edited by himmelangst
I’m not good at message boarding sorry

Just out of curiosity how can you guys tell the difference? Can you ID by the presence of siderite visually? Or the absence of undigested food? Or the shape? I read about these specimens and it’s very interesting, they are abundant in the upper Miocene formation of Salmon Creek, Washington and it definitely looks a lot like the ‘noprolite’ specimens from that location. 

I'm curious about that also, it looks similar to some turtle coprolites. What stands out that rules it out so easily?

@Lone Hunter

The turtle coprolites that you mention are suspect themselves, if you are referencing the Madagascar Turtle Coprolites that litter the internet. See this thread for a longer conversation on the topic: 

As a dedicated coprolite enthusiast, I stay away from them.

• I Agree 1

I don't use pictures of items for sale for any kind of reference, only things that are in collections, museums, or on educational sites. 

• Enjoyed 1

On 5/17/2021 at 2:25 PM, GeschWhat said:

I would write in more detail, but can't type well right now due to recent hand surgery. You might want to check out this thread.

Thank you for this info! Hope your hand feels better soon!