Stone Work

Rødvig

Hi all

Do not know whether it is the right forum to post this?

Today for the first time ever I tried to polish / cut stones and fossils in the local rock club, and I thought I would share the results with you.

First, a barite crystal from Trelde Næs

post-2634-12654811150521_thumb.jpg

Second a couple of pieces of Danish wood from Ejerslev moclay pit 54 myo

post-2634-12654812741377_thumb.jpg post-2634-12654826773119_thumb.jpg post-2634-12654827015048_thumb.jpg

Then there is a worm burrow from Trelde Næs

post-2634-12654828492074_thumb.jpg

And the last one, a heart to my wife, in calcite from Trelde Næs

post-2634-12654832989663_thumb.jpg

Mikkel

Not bad for a first timer. I like the worm burrow

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

You've done a really nice job on them, Mikkel. Well done! :D

Really like that worm burrow...

Gethin

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "

yeah, that's very good work, especially for a first attempt. it's fun when you do that stuff a bit and start thinking of rock as a material that you can work with - cut up, shape and polish. it makes you see it in a whole different way, picturing what it can be as well as what it is. good luck with your future efforts. :)

I think you did a fantastic job!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Mikkel...... Very Nice.....what equipment did you used to achieve such fantastic results?

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

First and foremost, thanks for the kind words on this my first attempt into this type of processing rocks and fossils, It's always nice to hear others say that the work you have done is fantastic :wub:

tracer:

Rather quickly, I tried to allow the stone to decide what form it should have, instead of just running on a predetermined shape. and there is no doubt that just these few hours of work has already changed my view on stones.

Terry Dactyll:

I have no idea what brand it was, but it was a piece of American machinery

Mikkel

those are nice results!

My "stone work" generally consists of cutting rocks in half with a handheld grinder and a masonary cut off wheel. However lately I've been thinking about at least getting a few polishing bits for my dremel.

Thanks all

RBJ: The worm burrow is not in a piece of wood, but is a Manganese carbonate (do not know if it is correct spelling of this type of stone)

Frank: If I ever come to North Carolina I'll take a bottle of tequila, so we can see who will go after the worm :lolu: :beerhat:

Mikkel

One more here who is fascinated by the worm burrow :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!