Pennsylvanian unknown

Rob Russell

Hey folks. 

Here’s a fossil I found this past weekend while hunting in the black Mecca Quarry Shale in NC Illinois. 
Ive gotten some suggestions, but the one person with great knowledge of the site wasn’t positive what it was.  I do believe he was going to forward pics to fiddlehead. 

Anyway, I thought I’d throw it out here for you all to have a crack at it. 
It’s 5 1/2” long. 
The “points” are both exactly 1 5/8”; or 40 mm, apart. 

Thanks for the look, and any potential ID’s. 

D3E322B5-1884-449E-859A-5E7BA3BFAC72.jpeg  0F87C546-2C50-4816-A61A-F813EBCE37AA.jpeg  

6C060BB8-700B-4B8A-9A88-0A099BF94804.thumb.jpeg.75229caa6597ca40ecab14e023421753.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I have no clue, but it is a very interesting fossil. Please let us know if you ever get an identification.

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

On 7/26/2021 at 11:33 AM, historianmichael said:

I have no clue, but it is a very interesting fossil. Please let us know if you ever get an identification.

Thanks for the reply. I will indeed update the thread if I get an ID outside the forum. 

• 1 month later...

@connorp, is this the same?? Tried to ID it on the forum a few months ago.

3. This one has evenly spaced projections which hopefully aid in identification.

2021-07-264.thumb.jpg.7ce57570c2aac237dfd7bb8baa89294a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Thank you both for your replies. 

That is definitely an intriguing specimen, minnbuckeye. Any idea of the scale of that specimen? 
As connorp mentioned, I believe it may be a seed fern stem as well, now, since posting the photos. I sought RC’s advice via PM.

Regards,

Rob  

It measures 16 cm by 1 cm. You can check out my thread "Need Help With Woody Structures from Glenshaw Formation: Mahoning Shale of Western Pennsylvania" for more pictures.