Gigantic Cataclysm Miocene-Pliocene Boundary Mystery Solved!

MOROPUS

Interesting, I didn't think the Mediterranean had ever been cut off but that it would be in the future.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This has happened, if I can remember, at least 5 times during the late and mid Tertiary (specially during Miocene). That`s why under the sea bed, enourmous amounts of halite are found, and some African mammals are found in Europe at this time.

It is quite difficult for this to happened again, due to the fact that European plate is splitting from African plate more; in fact, Mediterranean sea might be swallowed by Atlantic.

Moropus is right - it's been referred to as the Messinian Salinity Crisis - there is evidence that a species of the sirenian Metaxytherium dwarfed in a small remaining portion of the Mediterranean due to the Messinian S.C. Bobby

It is quite difficult for this to happened again, due to the fact that European plate is splitting from African plate more; in fact, Mediterranean sea might be swallowed by Atlantic.

Ok, I have to ask where you found the information that Europe is splitting from Africa? Every plate tectonic simulation or projection that I have seen has Africa fusing with Europe. I realize that the Red Sea is a branch of same rift system that is creating the East African Rift valley and the Gulf of Aden, but I don't think that is going to stop the rest of the continent from heading north.

Boesse - Thank Bobby, Can you or Moropus suggest any good literature that would explain the past and future of the Mediterranean?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Boesse - Thank Bobby, Can you or Moropus suggest any good literature that would explain the past and future of the Mediterranean?

There is a book that I read that covers mammal evolution in Europe, that covers some of it as I recall. Named Mammoths, Sabertooths and Hominids: 65 Million Years of Mammalian Evolution in Europe (Hardback) By (author) Jordi Agusti, B

Brent Ashcraft

Edited by ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen