lubster

I found it!! Right next to my Disneyland E tickets!! I wrote down where so I don’t forget.

I took pics from a couple different angels, and with my cell phone, so the quality might not be as good as my first post.  You can see where Uncle Keith pick a lil hole with his fingernail 90 years ago. The last pic I propped it up, that’s the tip of the egg in the photo.

And I am sooooo attached to my egg since I was really close to my gpa, I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I hold it. It’s still a treat : )  But I will think about the possibility of adding to my will where I’d like it to go. I’m the youngest of 18 cousins, I’m 65, so I feel ok with any decision I make since we’all won’t be around that much longer.

0C971AA6-D020-43FB-8F8F-794DC90BD3DA.jpeg

211F14FA-56FE-489C-84FF-3E6C3858AB6B.jpeg

A1D79FC0-78CD-40F8-99F9-8B162C1041B9.jpeg

338F3AE8-0066-4A20-A258-6502966A8D5B.jpeg

14BD547E-8A01-436E-90B6-1F341EE39E2F.jpeg

3FAA83B5-78EF-405E-9746-C35DD9564D02.jpeg

D075CE2D-5F3A-42C2-B3CB-5ED13FEEB758.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

This is such a wonderful and rare fossil!  What an incredible heirloom.  Take special care to store it with padding...'cause it is an egg.  :D

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

An excellent family treasure.  And it will always be attributed to both you and Uncle Keith.  And you can tell folks that a bunch of people on this very forum are both impressed and jealous.  : )

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

This is such a wonderful and rare fossil!  What an incredible heirloom.  Take special care to store it with padding...'cause it is an egg.  :D

6 hours ago, jpc said:

An excellent family treasure.  And it will always be attributed to both you and Uncle Keith.  And you can tell folks that a bunch of people on this very forum are both impressed and jealous.  : )

Ohyes, i'm jealous, and it hadn't even a crack !

• Enjoyed 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Wow just beautiful . This one of the most perfect fossils seen on TFF , perfect in every way. How do you display it?

I almost missed this post  because I didn’t want to see anymore just  round rocks.  

Thanks for sharing - this is definitely one for the books.

Cheers Bobby 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Wow wow wow... SO nice to see a real egg on here! I, too, kept my distance a bit, completely expecting another figment of the imagination. Bravo. And what a perfect egg! I agree completely that it looks like a bird egg.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

I cannot even begin to express how astounded I am in regards to  your amazing fossil egg. Thank you so much for sharing this magnificent specimen!

• Thank You 1

We, the Staff,  have awarded the prestigious Golden Drool Bucket Award to lubster, for bringing this amazing fossil to our attention.

post-423-0-50873700-1355006011.jpg

Thank you @lubster !!!

• Enjoyed 9
  • Thank You 3
  • I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

And found in our fair state of Colorado, too. Moves me to tears :drool: (or drool). Truly the find of a lifetime!!!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

OH MY GOSH!! I never in my wildest dreams thought the egg was going to bring such wonderfully thoughtful remarks, let alone a trophy! Thank you everyone!! And to FossilDude19 : ) Y’all are sooo sweet!! 

And I never thought of displaying it Bobby Rico. It’s always been hidden, like in a drawer, which took me almost 5 hours to find since it was blocked by other furniture.  It’s wrapped in a hankie, then bubble wrap, in a plastic box. 

I read all your comments to my 40 yr old daughter yesterday and she said, “I’ve never even seen the egg”!! 0h my!  I think I might want to get one of those glass domes to display it in. 

Thanks again everyone for your input; means a lot to me : )  And I’m learning too!! 

2F6059C2-9B49-4D0E-A3D2-74B8DC407F69.jpeg

CC55E5EB-2951-4DB1-B78E-FBBC3405CDB6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, lubster said:

And I never thought of displaying it Bobby Rico. It’s always been hidden, like in a drawer, which took me almost 5 hours to find since it was blocked by other furniture.  It’s wrapped in a hankie, then bubble wrap, in a plastic box. 

I read all your comments to my 40 yr old daughter yesterday and she said, “I’ve never even seen the egg”!! 0h my!  I think I might want to get one of those glas

Haha I was going to suggest a glass dome display case with a nice soft cushion base. It will keep it dust free and all your visitors can enjoy seeing it and it won’t need to be handled. 

• I Agree 1

I’d have a pro reproduction made and get the original in a safety deposit vault.

my heart rate is dangerously high after seeing this magnificent specimen 

• I Agree 1

• JohnJ changed the title to Fossilized Egg vs Petrified Egg? - This one is Real!
  • JohnJ pinned this topic

Best to keep it out of direct sunlight, which may damage the fossil over time. So, actually, hiding the fossil away as you have done was not all that bad for its conservation. But it would also really be a shame if nobody got to see this unique specimen...! So, as others have already said: thanks for sharing! :D

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Makes me wonder if there are bell jars (an excellent idea for a way to display this rarity) come with a UV coating to block potentially harmful rays?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bell+jar&tbm=isch

There are many here who would treat this one fossil as the crowning glory of their collection. You are lucky to have had a grandfather who was curious enough to hold onto this relic of the past. Please do consider a future home for this museum quality specimen with a specific directive for its disposition. Too many invaluable items never find their way into a place that can study and appreciate it and end up in garage sales or (worse) the town dump.

I'm glad it warms your heart thinking of your gramps when you see it--all the more reason for displaying it in a safe and protected place so you can walk by it on a daily basis and smile. ;) :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, digit said:

Makes me wonder if there are bell jars (an excellent idea for a way to display this rarity) come with a UV coating to block potentially harmful rays?

There are many here who would treat this one fossil as the crowning glory of their collection. You are lucky to have had a grandfather who was curious enough to hold onto this relic of the past. Please do consider a future home for this museum quality specimen with a specific directive for its disposition. Too many invaluable items never find their way into a place that can study and appreciate it and end up in garage sales or (worse) the town dump.

I'm glad it warms your heart thinking of your gramps when you see it--all the more reason for displaying it in a safe and protected place so you can walk by it on a daily basis and smile. ;) :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Both Soda glass and borosilicate glass have excellent UV A, B, and C blocking abilities. A thickness of 10mm +\- is more than sufficient.

In the case of this specimen Id be more worried about temperature,  humidity, oxidation and pH…in addition to abrasion and impact damage.

I have employed a number of lab grade bell jars for far more fragile biological specimens (find my Young Frankenstein brain hiding in another thread for instance) with great success.

in my archive experience, oxygen and humidity are the worst enemy.

• I found this Informative 3

On 8/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

On 8/27/2021 at 4:45 PM, LabRatKing said:

Both Soda glass and borosilicate glass have excellent UV A, B, and C blocking abilities. A thickness of 10mm +\- is more than sufficient.

In the case of this specimen Id be more worried about temperature,  humidity, oxidation and pH…in addition to abrasion and impact damage.

I have employed a number of lab grade bell jars for far more fragile biological specimens (find my Young Frankenstein brain hiding in another thread for instance) with great success.

in my archive experience, oxygen and humidity are the worst enemy.

Ken and LabRatKing, 

Thank you for that information on types of glass, and for the link to the bell jars.  We recently moved from a dry climate where the egg had spent decades in a drawer, to within a 1/2 mile from the beach.  My humidity level in our condo is usually from 54-70.  So I will take your recommendations and look for something like a bell jar that will be airtight.  Thank you again; I really appreciate the advice : )  Kathy

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, lubster said:

Ken and LabRatKing, 

Thank you for that information on types of glass, and for the link to the bell jars.  We recently moved from a dry climate where the egg had spent decades in a drawer, to within a 1/2 mile from the beach.  My humidity level in our condo is usually from 54-70.  So I will take your recommendations and look for something like a bell jar that will be airtight.  Thank you again; I really appreciate the advice : )  Kathy

Just noticed a typo should be 1 to 5 mm. 10 is overkill, but plenty durable.lol

• Thank You 1

19 hours ago, lubster said:

My humidity level in our condo is usually from 54-70.  So I will take your recommendations and look for something like a bell jar that will be airtight.  Thank you again; I really appreciate the advice : )  Kathy

It feels a vintage  dome display case or a bell jar is a great to both project and display your egg. You need to something soft cushion the egg and to stop it moving around. I have some bell

Jar with fossil in for few years now and it works great ,dust free  and looks cool. 

all the best Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico

This is awesome! I'm going to be honest and say this is the first egg I've seen and it makes me want one too.  A fun thing to pass down through the family.

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

• 2 months later...

Wow, I can't believe I missed this one- this egg is gorgeous!  The nicest fossilized American egg I have ever seen.  Seeming as though it was found in the Pawnee Creek Formation (2.58 to 23.03 million years ago), it is too young to be dinosaur (they're over 65 million years old).  This is likely a fossilized bird egg.  What kind- I have no idea!  My interest is in dino eggs.  So nice for your grandfather to have saved and protected this 110 years ago while digging a well.  Amazing find and a family heirloom that should be cherished forever or left to a museum.  Wow!

@-Andy-

@Troodon

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Seeming as though it was found in the Pawnee Creek Formation (2.58 to 23.03 million years ago), it is too young to be dinosaur (they're over 65 million years old). 

I'm assuming you slipped a digit somewhere and that there is another number that should be part of "2.58" above (simply for clarity). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

What a heart-warming story and what a lovely egg!

You have a fantastic story for the next generation

• Thank You 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!