Cretaceous Shell Crusher Shark

aurora

Hey, That's my shark!!! Thanks for the link!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the post very interesting

I may have missed it but I saw nothing

about the size of the teeth

they look similar to Paralbula or the crushing tooth of Crocodiles

Hey, That's my shark!!! Thanks for the link!

Sheesh. What's a fossil hunter gotta do to get his props in the media?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A story worth re-telling, Ramo. Congrats.

:thumbsu:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

OK John, Here is the story.

The state decided to widen a highway, and in doing so, they exposed some Codell sandstone at the base of the Fort Hays limestone. The Fort Hays is usually devoid of fossils, but I have found a few things in it (these may end up in a future paper). While searching the Codell, I noticed some huge ptychodus teeth coming out of the VERY HARD Fort Hays limestone. I collected a few teeth, and took some pictures of a section of the jaw that was exposed. Since I had experience extracting fossils from the Fort Hays,(Ptychodus mortoni), and knew how hard it was, I contacted Mike Everhart, and told him he was welcome to the remains, if he wanted them. I assumed he might bring a team of graduate students up, to do the hard work of extracting the fossil. Unfortunately, he showed up with just himself and Kenshu Shimada. The three of us, along with my wife took turns chipping away at the jaw section, finding teeth along the way. After about six hours of chipping away, and a roadside pizza (thanks to my wife going and picking it up), we finally had the jaw section out. The fox news article shows the complete section. Kenshu started work on the paper, and e-mailed Mike and I drafts of it, until it was done. The paper got picked up by "Cretaceous Research" and was just published. I had an old post about this, and a few people contacted me on here to send them copies when I get them. I haven't got them yet, but when I do, I'll send them out. Here is a picture my wife took. That is me on the left, Mike, in the middle, and Dr Shimada on the right.

post-40-12669667451841_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

Man, that's a field trip. Thanks, Ramo.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It might just be me, but i cannot open the oceansofkansas link...

The BBC also has an artikel on this shark:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8530000/8530995.stm

EDIT: I know what happend, the link incorporates a ) on the end. Thats why i could not open it...

Edited by Smaug

When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it is attached to the rest of the world.

-- John Muir

Congrats, Bowkill, on a great find an yet another contribution to paleontology! B)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This is the first time anything I have found made it into the media, and I find it amazing just how they much they can make something seem so much greater than it is. All we found were a few big ptychodus teeth, and a small section of jaw. There have been larger ptychodus teeth found. The paper was written mainly because this came from the Fort Hays limestone, which as very little fossils, and there was a section of jaw preserved, which is rare.

If someone were to just read through this article, you would think it is a completely new discovery!!

-Aldo Leopold

This is the first time anything I have found made it into the media, and I find it amazing just how they much they can make something seem so much greater than it is. All we found were a few big ptychodus teeth, and a small section of jaw. There have been larger ptychodus teeth found. The paper was written mainly because this came from the Fort Hays limestone, which as very little fossils, and there was a section of jaw preserved, which is rare.

If someone were to just read through this article, you would think it is a completely new discovery!!

Marketing, man. Marketing!

Congrats, Bowkill! Awesome find!

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")