Big Otodus obliquus teeth

Jerrychang

Now that is O. obliquus (absolutely no doubt this time haha).... and a fantastic example indeed, very nice clean cutting edges and tip. Do you plan to remove it from the matrix or just leave it alone? 

A much smaller one than yours was my first fossil and got me hooked on shark tooth fossils! The largest two O. obliquus teeth I have are 71mm & 87mm

4 hours ago, Gareth_ said:

Now that is O. obliquus (absolutely no doubt this time haha).... and a fantastic example indeed, very nice clean cutting edges and tip. Do you plan to remove it from the matrix or just leave it alone? 

A much smaller one than yours was my first fossil and got me hooked on shark tooth fossils! The largest two O. obliquus teeth I have are 71mm & 87mm

Yes, it’s much more easier when the teeth is big enough.

I don’t have the tools to do that. So I used a small knife. But I missed and broke the root.

Edited by Jerrychang
Wrong word

19 minutes ago, Jerrychang said:

Yes, it’s much more easier when the teeth is big enough.

I don’t have the tools to do that. So I used a small knife. But I missed and broke the root.

Did you break a piece off? I can't see a broken piece in the pics. One cusplet looks a little odd though

That crown is a beautiful shape, a perfect triangle! The enamel looks really nice too. Very nice acquisition! 

11 minutes ago, Gareth_ said:

Did you break a piece off? I can't see a broken piece in the pics. One cusplet looks a little odd though

That crown is a beautiful shape, a perfect triangle! The enamel looks really nice too. Very nice acquisition! 

The shorter side of the root, but I glued it back.
That  cusplet was already half when it was in the matrix.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Jerrychang said:

The shorter side of the root, but I glued it back.
That  cusplet was already half when it was in the matrix.

Thanks!

Ohh I think I can see the crack. No big deal really, it's still all there and still a very large O. obliquus tooth! 

• Thank You 1

• 2 months later...

Just bought another large Otodus obliquus. It’s 7.7cm(a little bit over 3 inch).
It’s extremely cheap because there is a big crack on it . I guess it was broke and glued , but it is cheaper than a hamburger so I still brought it home.image.thumb.jpg.ede4da193072ea8f78145f4a10e9304d.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1e847f82e387c2872b396b7f132d86e9.jpg

Besides, it’s a little bit wavy if you look at it from the side.image.thumb.jpg.4730bb0cc682b0364906a0f153836172.jpg

Edited by Jerrychang
  • Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, Jerrychang said:

Just bought another large Otodus obliquus. It’s 7.7cm(a little bit over 3 inch).
It’s extremely cheap because there is a big crack on it . I guess it was broke and glued , but it is cheaper than a hamburger so I still brought it home.image.thumb.jpg.ede4da193072ea8f78145f4a10e9304d.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1e847f82e387c2872b396b7f132d86e9.jpg

Besides, it’s a little bit wavy if you look at it from the side.image.thumb.jpg.4730bb0cc682b0364906a0f153836172.jpg

That glue job seems poorly executed. If it was mine I would see if I could take it apart (acetone) and glue it back together better to reduce the crack.

5 minutes ago, R0b said:

That glue job seems poorly executed. If it was mine I would see if I could take it apart (acetone) and glue it back together better to reduce the crack.

I think so too, I should try later.

4 minutes ago, Jerrychang said:

Is this the upper row or the lower row?

Through all the sites I have dug through to gather info on tooth position, upper/lower on Otodus obliquus teeth this is so far the best I've seen. At the top right is a drop down menu, click O. obliquus.

elasmo.com: Reconstructed Tooth-sets

There appears to be a noticeable difference between upper and lower lateral teeth but the only difference I can spot between upper and lower anterior teeth is the cusplets might aim more vertically on the upper jaw and face generally vertically but aiming slightly out on the lower jaw (follow the line the outer cutting edge takes).

Is this difference intentional during the reconstruction of this tooth set? Or was it a complete accident and I'm looking for detail that isn't really there? You can be the judge haha

On your tooth, just from those pics it's a little hard to tell

I think ultimately, an O. obliquus anterior tooth is very difficult to say if it's upper or lower.