Road Cuts

hunterdoug

Hello, I heard that almost any road cut is legal to hunt in, is this true? I'm fairly new to fossil hunting and the last thing I want to do is get busted for hunting in the wrong spot here in Northern Ca, any advice would be great, thanks!

Doug

Look into your state's/counties' rules regarding "right of ways" on county and state roads. In MI., it's 15' from the side of the road, 30' from the middle. Even if it's your front yard, the county owns that strip.

Also check power line right of ways, too.

Good luck!

Tim

For the most part, road cuts are ok to hunt in. If you see signs warning you away due to rockfalls or private property then please respect them and don't hunt there.

I heard a story that last year in Indiana some people got busted for hunting in a road cut because they essentially were pulling up in a truck and hauling away the rock for use in landscaping (commercial). The local sheriff decided to interpret the law by saying that the road cut way state property and you were not allowed to steal from the state. Thus everyone got chased away.

In other instances they are more concerned with talus or rocks being dislodged and blocking the road or hitting passing cars.

Be safe and be aware of local laws is the best advice.

Good luck!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

hi hunterdoug...

the problem might be complicated, because isn't there civil and criminal law at the local, state, and federal level to concern yourself with, and isn't it also not only a matter of where you are, but also what you're doing? and what if you're on indian territory? oh, and have a legislative session's changes just gone into effect and nobody told you what they were? and did a ruling just occur which created "case law" which impacts on the matter? or are you dealing with one of those situations where somebody like a parks and wildlife department had it put in a law that they can make "rules" that have the effect of law?

i'm not saying don't seek or take free information from the web. but me personally, i'd be talking to the people who would be most likely to jack me up over something to see what they think.

that or i'd ask dan woehr to go with me, because i've never seen him in action, but i figure i could outrun him.

welcome to the forum. :)

now you've met the fool. :)

I know for sure it is illegal to park along US Interstate highways to collect. You see the signs "stopping for emergencies only." I know this because I have had state troopers shoe me off in three states and all had the same explanation. Twice they said they were checking on me because folks had called in a "motorist in distress" on their cell phones. But as far as I know this is only on the major interstate highways. I have collected cuts on interstate highway ramps where the parking was not on the highway and we walked to the cut.

As mentioned watch for no trespassing signs and don't make a big mess. Oh and a good rule of thumb is to always get your car as far over as possible and off the berm when you can.

years ago I seen signs in NM saying it was illegal to collect along the road side. And forget any road cut in a national or state park.

I personaly wear a orange safety vest and white hard hat. Put a cone behind your car and most people will think your some inspector or DOT worker. I'm upgrading to a flashing yellow roof light this year for my summer road trip

And it gives you an edge when some cop stops you and you look prepared.

But I did have to make a run for it when the mower guy was getting close to my parked car in NB last year. I was in his way. I also try to park at least 6 inches off the pavement as that lets you off the hook for a lot of possible violations since your "not on the road".

I have a rather interesting personal story regarding collecting on road cuts.

Not long ago I was collecting on a road cut in a perfectly legal manner. While minding my business searching for fossils, I suddenly heard a loud screeching sound. Turning my head in the direction of the sound, I saw a car spinning, skidding and entering a ditch rear-first. A loud crunch, some running to the scene, and a few phone calls later...the lady was alright, but she did lose control while looking and pondering what I and a friend were doing.

Anyway, whether or not its legal (which it definitely isn't in some situations), it can be dangerous...

From now on, I don't collect at all legal roadcuts

I personaly wear a orange safety vest and white hard hat. Put a cone behind your car
this sounds like sound advice, which I will follow in the future...

That newspaper article looks like there more against the idiots who load 2000 lbs of random material verus the hobbyist who might bring home 20 lbs of stuff. But the law is blind and all it takes is one cop with issues with what your doing and nothing to do.

Also I rarely climb up higher than 6-8 feet if there is easy access. I heard of collectors up 20 or 30 feet and now you created a safety issue for the state or county as anything that falls from that height will have to roll somewhere. Let alone you can possibly fall.

I think most cops will leave you alone and continue to chase speeders if you look and act SAFE and leave plenty of room between you and the roadway, even if that means moving off the paved shoulder.

At 50-60 MPH, they have only a few seconds to made a decision to stop. If you don't look like a disabled car, that makes their job easier and now they only have to determine if your a safety issue to the traffic on the road. Police usually have standing orders to examine and tag any disabled or abandon vehicle on the side of the road. Thus the cone, either they think some one else put it out or you did and you belong there. With a saftey vest and hard hat I even had a few troops wave as they went by.

I used that safety vest and hard hat ruse to talk my way of a few "driving on the playa" violations with BLM rangers in NV a couple of times. That and a good explanation. B)