One Of A Kind Find

Just Bob

I went to the NJ State Museum yesterday to meet with Dr. Dave Parris to donate a couple of things and also get a few things Id'ed. It turns out that one of my finds was very unique. I had found a piece of matrix that had ghost shrimp claws on one side and what I thought was an ammonite impression on the other side. Well it turns out that it was not an impression of an ammonite at all but the impression of the ghost shrimp's tail. What makes this so special is that the claws were the only part of the ghost shrimp that fossilized, the rest of the body consisted of soft parts that don't fossilize and so they know next to nothing about them. Needless to say they were very excited to get it. The funny thing is I almost didn't even bring it with me. The only reason I did is because I thought that it was a little unique. Dr. Parris theorizes that the ghost shrimp died in its burrow and that it curled its tail under its body and that is how it left the impression.biggrin.gif

post-2410-12671546265471_thumb.jpg This is the side with the claw.

post-2410-12671546090223_thumb.jpg

post-2410-12671546549323_thumb.jpg This is the side with the impression.

post-2410-1267154588214_thumb.jpg

post-2410-12671546741858_thumb.jpg

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

The unexpected has a way of popping up; cool find, Bob.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Cool find, and cool that you are so generous with your fossils; WTG!

What month did you find this in? (See where I'm going with this?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you guys. Couldn't have found it if Phil didn't put me in the right spots.biggrin.gif

Btw Auspex i found it in January.sad.gif Until yesterday I didn't know the significance of it. I just thought that it was a little different.

Edited by Just Bob

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

What a find! I'm so happy for you. :bow:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest Smilodon

Thank you guys. Couldn't have found it if Phil didn't put me in the right spots.biggrin.gif

Btw Auspex i found it in January.sad.gif Until yesterday I didn't know the significance of it. I just thought that it was a little diferent.

JB,

If you've joined DVPS, would you send that info to the newsletter editor. We really like to show our members off :)

Nice find, Bob! Congrats!

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

That's not a bad find at all, for someone who wears sun glass all the time :P

I know. B) B) ;) Actually I did join DVPS last month.:D There was very cool looking elk-moose fossil, dating back to the Early Pleistocene, about 100,000 years ago, in the museum.

It's one of only two complete elk-moose skeletons ever found. It was discovered in Warren County, NJ in 1885.

And Ron, you may notice I am not wearing sun glasses.;)

post-2410-12672338580257_thumb.jpg

post-2410-12672338440363_thumb.jpg

Upton Sinclair

Cool find, Bob. Also scary.

I think I tossed something like that back into the creek a few times. I'm going to have to bring home some of those when there wet and let them dry and take a better look at them next time.

I have something similar to your impressions but not as uniform. I'll have to dig that piece out and post a picture.

Did you at least hold out for a free ride (with friends) on Dave's next trip to Inversand?

Dam. Why didn't I think of that.:mellow:

Upton Sinclair

Cool find, Bob. Also scary.

I think I tossed something like that back into the creek a few times. I'm going to have to bring home some of those when there wet and let them dry and take a better look at them next time.

I have something similar to your impressions but not as uniform. I'll have to dig that piece out and post a picture.

I have also seen some impressions that I just didn't think were worthy enough to take home and to be honest the only reason I keep that one was because of the ghost shrimp claws on the one side. And at that, I still wound not have known what I had if it weren't for Dr.Parris.

I guess there is a lesson to be learned in this.:)

Upton Sinclair

Great score on the ghost shrimp fossil and impression. I love associated fossils!

Bob, this piece has similar uniform impressions but slightly squished. Now that Dr Dave identified your piece, mine might be a similar but not as exceptionally nice as yours. Now I have the itch to find a claw. We need a good rain and a warm weekend.

post-2447-1267588481499_thumb.jpg

post-2447-12675884906511_thumb.jpg