Huge Kalligramma? Found in Nevada

keithsdayoff

You say there is a "lacewing" pattern that cannot be seen in photos.  I'm not sure just what you mean by a "lacewing" pattern, but lacewings are insects (if that is what you mean) with a pattern of wing veins that is very different from lepidopterans.  Wing veins are not just random lines zig-zagging around, they are very regular within a taxon and are commonly used to identify insects to genus or sometimes species.  I don't see anything of that nature in your photos, but if they are there an insect taxonomist will certainly be able to use them to identify your find.

Don

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

I have to jump in here and add my voice to those not seeing a fossil and certainly not seeing a fossil moth. I have had literally decades of experience handling, finding, and digging fossils of everything and anything you can think of. And I am not interested in bragging but rather demonstrating how skilled the folks on this forum are at identifying fossils. And as said before, we have no interest in merely telling you that you have nothing - we'd all love for this to be a new species of moth: Similar things have happened on this forum scores of times. But we are also painfully familiar with the phenomenon of wishful thinking and we collectively feel that that is what is going on here. We do encourage you to find an expert and to bring this, in person, for examination because photos can only go so far. But please be ready for the same type of response. Best of luck.

Edited by Carl
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

Yes the lacewing patterns I’m talking about are the vein structures that make up the wing. There is still some left that can be recorded! Honestly you guys banking on it likely being a rock because otherwise it is unexplainable is making me so excited! And yes I know for a fact it was petrified wood next to it. It may seem like I got ahead of my horse but I just want you guys to know this is 100% a moth like fossil. I respect everyone’s input very much. 

Just now, keithsdayoff said:

I’m so busy with school but I will be taking it to the museum at Unr shortly!

Also I want you guys to know this was found in southern nevada. Not near Reno at all 

Locking this topic, as further discussion is moot until seen by a professional paleontologist.

We look forward to an update from keithsdayoff.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic