Please help me identify species of marine reptiles

cen003998

This bone has not been identified. I think it may be the leg bone of mosasaur or plesiosaur. Do you have any opinions?

It comes from the Cretaceous period in Morocco

FB_IMG_1633632355757.jpg

FB_IMG_1633632358815.jpg

FB_IMG_1633632362938.jpg

FB_IMG_1633632365653.jpg

IMG_20211008_024631.jpg

The open celled, cancellous bone (visible on the left end of the 3rd photo) does not indicate a marine reptile.  The patchy color and breaks look suspect to me.  It looks more like a modified mammal radius.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Please help me identify species of marine reptiles

That bone comes from kem kem near efroud that I know for certain by looking at the matrix notice the mix of patches of clay and sandstone around the centre of the bone which looks legit, now moving on to the proximal and distal ends of the limb bone they looks to be a mixture of bone fragments held together with matrix and super glue (forming a type of putty) and in places look carved.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

First of all, hello and welcome to TFF! It's great to see a new member from Taiwan (there are some others on TFF already), and I think you'll find that there are a lot of knowledgable people here on this forum!

While I'm not as well-versed and knowledgable on the Kem Kem as Matt is and would therefore not have immediately spotted this as a bone from there, you can trust his analysis on this. What I can say from my own experience, however, is that I completely agree with John in that both the bone's morphology and the degree of vascularization visible are indicative of a terrestrial rather than marine animal. Both marine reptiles and marine mammals have pachyosteosclerotic bones to make them heavier and help them deal with the buoyancy problem (of of the - I believe - seven problems secondarily aquatic animals need to overcome when returning to the sea). As this bone does not exhibit that particular feature, a marine origin can be ruled out.

To me, the bone reminds me of a limb bone of a crocodile - of which plenty are known from the Kem Kem - as those are often somewhat compressed, I believe, as is your bone. But that's just a guess, as I'm really not all too familiar with crocodiles...

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, cen003998 said:

謝謝你的回答,很高興和其他國家的人討論化石:Wave:

Translation: Thank you for your answer, it was nice to discuss fossils with people from other countries

• Thank You 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).