It Was The Worst Of Times

Shellseeker

Having returned to the workforce, I no longer have the option to select my days -- so I went to the Peace River around Wauchula yesterday.

Even though overcast and cool, I went into the water with two friends at 8:30 AM. Two of us had wetsuits, me with a shortie bodyglove. The air temp was 46-47 degrees.

Around 11:30, the wind picked up, the water temp was 54 degrees, it started raining. The spot we were digging was between belly button and chest. I recall laughing at the craziness of 3 friends going after fossils in these conditions.

We found some things: Deer Teeth, a really old coke bottle (complete!!), a couple of armadillo scutes, a nice Croc tooth, a couple of gator teeth, lots of hemis (larger one 1.5 inch on long side, and a beat up porposie tooth. No Megs

I hope the weather changes soon.

post-2220-12673861407692_thumb.jpg

post-2220-1267386238837_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

You were smart to bring a wetsuit. I drove 100 miles, got out into the cold rain, thought I could stand it, but then put my toe in the water. It was freezing and I turned right around. The old Peace River sure hasn't been cooperating this season. Last year was so great. I hope 2010-2011 winter has a major drought. sorry farmers, but I've gotta fossil hunt.

The things we do to fossil hunt huh? Glad to here your working that's a good thing also. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

You were smart to bring a wetsuit. I drove 100 miles, got out into the cold rain, thought I could stand it, but then put my toe in the water. It was freezing and I turned right around. The old Peace River sure hasn't been cooperating this season. Last year was so great. I hope 2010-2011 winter has a major drought. sorry farmers, but I've gotta fossil hunt.

Earthdog, Salvation is on its way. They tell me that the cold leaves us Tuesday and NEXT Saturday, the air temps will be 79 degrees with sunshine. Hopefully, the rain will abate, the river will drop, and fossil dreams will come true.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Yep, the things we do for fossil hunting! :wub::):D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

The things we do to fossil hunt huh? Glad to here your working that's a good thing also. B)B)B):)

Yes, I am(we are) addicted. We were smiling, laughing, and freezing. I think that is why I like this forum. There are many here who understand and share my addictions. My wife and my friend's wife both think us to be prematurely senile. :P

Cold days should be coming to an end soon. Ever need another digger hit me up.

Shellseeker.....The enamel on those teeth is the blackest I've ever seen.... they look awsome... well done... are the megs you find as dark as those? :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Shellseeker.....The enamel on those teeth is the blackest I've ever seen.... they look awsome... well done... are the megs you find as dark as those? :)

Mostly, I find Snaggletooth (Hemis) that are as shiney as these. About 99% of all fossils I take from the peace river are black. The Megs have black enamel and black roots.

Here are a couple of 2-2.25 inch Megs. Raises a question. Are these megs , due to color, identifiable as coming from the Peace River OR from Florida or are there Black on Black Megs from other parts of the country?

post-2220-12675861913122_thumb.jpg

Shellseeker..... Thanks.... I would imagine they are as black as they come.... I would imagine the localised consentrations of minerals around the megs can change.... and so affect the depth of colour... but im guessing... lets leave it to the experts.... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Continuing the thought. Most common color combo in Black enamel on Gray Root -- Hmmmm Must be different absorption qualities of enamel and Root. I wonder if a book exists that does locality by color.

Why Fossil Teeth Are Different Colors

The color of a tooth is determined solely by the color of sediment in which it is buried while fossilizing. The tooth absorbs minerals from the surrounding sediment. As the minerals replace the natural structure of the tooth, the tooth becomes the same general color as the sediment. Therefore, color is not an effective indicator of the age of a tooth. The most common color for shark teeth is a black root with a grayish crown. Different colors are more uncommon and significantly increase the value of a tooth.

.... AND

The color of fossil shark teeth is a result of the minerals that are present in the surrounding sediments. Teeth fossilize through a process called permineralization. As water seeps through sediments over the teeth, it transports the minerals that are found in the sediment. These minerals fill in pore spaces in the tooth causing them to fossilize. Different minerals turn different colors as they form and react with trace amounts of oxygen. For example, as iron oxidizes it begins to rust and typically turns a reddish brown. The same can happen to fossils

Edited by Shellseeker