Spinosaur or croc tooth ?

Guns

Ha ha. There is something horribly fascinating about fakes/composites but that takes the biscuit. When I lived in Bolivia I came across many bad fake trilobites, any other places known for shoddy fossil work?

29 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Haha what?!

I've never seen something quite like this.

This is a composite of two tooth crowns stuck together. No root is included here at all. The longitudinal ridges and carinae are all visible on both ends! Even the dentine is visible on the tip in that last photo. Definitely a fake, but holy cow what a weird one.

I'm speechless. Just incredible!

No wonder I was so confused where the tooth started and where it ended. Id keep it just for the sake of its weirdness lol. 

• Enjoyed 1

58 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Haha what?!

This is a composite of two tooth crowns stuck together. No root is included here at all. The longitudinal ridges and carinae are all visible on both ends! Even the dentine is visible on the tip in that last photo. Definitely a fake, but holy cow what a weird one.

Always thought is was extremely weird... had it for 10+ years or so. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. 

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Haha what?!

Any chance of breaking them apart so I can still maintain the "real" tooth, or should I just shelve it and keep for the "How to Spot a Fake Spino Tooth" thread??? 

12 minutes ago, lesofprimus said:

Any chance of breaking them apart so I can still maintain the "real" tooth, or should I just shelve it and keep for the "How to Spot a Fake Spino Tooth" thread??? 

I like the latter, since you have other Spino teeth.  Great conversation peice on fakes.   I doubt we will never see another but its Morocco so one cannot say never.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Haha what?!

That’s what’s funny I’ve seen the exact same tooth here about a year ago and you guys came to the same conclusion back then that it was two crowns.

Edited by DenverEdge
  • Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, DenverEdge said:

That’s what’s funny I’ve seen the exact same tooth here about a year ago and you guys came to the same conclusion back then that it was two crowns.

Maybe on Bookface... I've never posted here until recently and have owned it for over a decade lol...

Maybe another fake by the same faker? 

17 minutes ago, lesofprimus said:

Maybe on Bookface... I've never posted here until recently and have owned it for over a decade lol...

Maybe another fake by the same faker? 

Either that or Im seeing the future which my other half has been saying I do but I think it’s just her being forgetful lol. 

remember when you messaged me the pic i said it looked like two crowns? That was why so if you didn’t post it had to be a different tooth.

im trying to remember I think it was on a page or post that was about identifying fake spinosaurus teeth or Moroccan fossils. I’ll see if I can find it

Edited by DenverEdge

8 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Haha what?!

This is a composite of two tooth crowns stuck together.

As I looked at the pics, that was my first impression too! 

Then I read the comments about it and I was  :Confused04: 

I'm glad I'm not going crazy! How very strange isn't it... someone spent time on this to create a very odd piece of tooth art

It's so oddball even some experts missed it 

• Enjoyed 1