Show Us Your Tiny Trilobites From Your Collection!

pleecan

Hello!

Visiting this topic...I add my little one...it's from the upper Cambrian of Brantevik...Sweden

I don't really what is this Trilobite..Olenus?....all suggestions are welcome!

D

Hi Dromiopsis,

Brantevik in southern Sweden appears to be middle Cambrian and Olenus is an upper Cambrian genus. This specimen is a close match to a few possible middle Cambrian genera. I'm leaning toward an ellipsocephalid, solenopleurid, or similar trilobite but can't be certain without additional examples to confirm the overall morphological features.

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Here is our super tiny baby Paciphacops sent to my wife by our friend Bob Carroll of Black Cat MTN trilobites.

That is an awesome specimen! I really like the detail and how complete it is.

Hi Dromiopsis,

Brantevik in southern Sweden appears to be middle Cambrian and Olenus is an upper Cambrian genus. This specimen is a close match to a few possible middle Cambrian genera. I'm leaning toward an ellipsocephalid, solenopleurid, or similar trilobite but can't be certain without additional examples to confirm the overall morphological features.

hello Piranha,

Thanks for your answer,

Brantevik is lower and middle Cambrian but when you go more south(2km), Upper Cambrian level (with Olenid shales) are present and the fossils levels finish with the lower and middle Ordovician at Gislövshammar

The stones where I found this tiny Trilobite is the same aspect as the stones in where we can find the Brachiopods "Orusia lenticularis"

http://www.flickr.co...157626066203271

I scanned for you the detail from books..but it's in german....sorry

Thanks again for your help

Dromiopsis

post-5175-0-63869000-1347710685_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dromiopsis

hello Piranha,

Thanks for your answer,

Brantevik is lower and middle Cambrian but when you go more south(2km), Upper Cambrian level (with Olenid shales) are present and the fossils levels finish with the lower and middle Ordovician at Gislövshammar

The stones where I found this tiny Trilobite is the same aspect as the stones in where we can find the Brachiopods "Orusia lenticularis"

Dromiopsis

I don't understand the German language, but I found a site that will translate from any language to another (translate.google.com) and might have been able to translate the text. I typed in the German text and received this translation (hope it helps):

[---------------

Coast between Brantevik and Gislövshammar / Southeast Skåne: It provides a unique insight good sedimentary series, ranging from the Cambrian to the Dicellograptus Shale of Central and Upper-dovisium. Directly on the fishing port in Brantevik and further south are at different parts of the under-Cambrian sandstone series, as the lay-many trace fossils include (di-plocraterion parallel, Scholithos linear Psammichnites gigas, etc.) Psammichnites found beautifully preserved in a fenced area at the southern pier of Südhafens in Brantevik.

If one south of Brantevik direction Gislövshammar goes to the bright Cambrian sandstones follow the dark sandstones of Norretorp formation of the Cambrian and the low mighty Gislöv formation of the uppermost Cambrian, which will be superimposed on the south of the Middle Cambrian: partly Paradoxides shale with fossiliferous Anthrakoniten, some extremely productive exulans-lime with numerous molting remains of trilobites (Paradoxides, Bailiella and Conocoryphe = Ctenocephalus exsulans). The Anthrakonite trilogies contain mostly the family of the oil ends, in one layer but also the small lenticularis ArmfüBer Orusia.

Further south you get to the ends of oil-shale of the Upper Cambrian, which appears here as a typical alum with fossireichen Anthrakoniten. At the top of the stands Gislövshammar Orthoceren lime (Komstad-lime) to the Unterordovizium projecting into the sea as a reef. To the south it is overshadowed by the fossil-rich shale Dicellograptus (Mittel-/Oberordovizium), the gross amounts less Braciopoden (Paterula) and mechrere genera and species of graptolites fuert.

----------------]

hello Piranha,

Thanks for your answer,

Dromiopsis

Hi again Dromiopsis,

Digging a little deeper then for an upper Cambrian olenid that matches your trilobite and looks like I might have found a good match. Protopeltura aciculata is described from southern Sweden (Andrarum) and throughout much of Scandinavia. Attached is an example for comparison with your specimen. The key feature highlighted with arrows is the course of the facial suture. The other important features also appear to be correct; shape of the glabella, glabellar furrows, occipital ring and axial-thoracic ratios. Additional examples would be nice for a confirming ID but Protopeltura is certainly a good possibility. If I discover any new data I will be sure to update this post.

post-4301-0-41099700-1347725096_thumb.jpg

Hello Piranha,

Thanks for your very precise answer!...I don't have so much bibliography and expériences on Trilobite!

If you got more details, you are welcome!

D

To Alice:

Thanks Alice for the translation, it helps a lot but automatic translation can hide some keys words like" Olenid" who are not easy to translate automatically...

"The Anthrakonite trilogies contain mostly the family of the Olenid, in one layer but also the small brachiopods Orusia lenticularis."

Thanks so much

Dromiopsis

Hi Dromiopsis,

One more trilobite for consideration? If not Protopeltura then perhaps Peltura might fit for this trilobite. I found one unconfirmed reference describing Peltura scarabaeoides in abundance at Brantevik. I still think Protopeltura looks like a better match but need to find a published paper on the upper Cambrian fauna at Brantevik to be certain. emo73.gifemo31.gif

post-4301-0-49907400-1347729769_thumb.jpg

Hi Dromiopsis,

One more trilobite for consideration? If not Protopeltura then perhaps Peltura might fit for this trilobite. I found one unconfirmed reference describing Peltura scarabaeoides in abundance at Brantevik. I still think Protopeltura looks like a better match but need to find a published paper on the upper Cambrian fauna at Brantevik to be certain. emo73.gifemo31.gif

post-4301-0-49907400-1347729769_thumb.jpg

Hello Piranha!

I am very impressed by you documentations!

In my side, except many books...not so much info..it's true that I collect every kinds of fossils....so....hard to be complete!

Nevertheless, if you got documents about the fauna from this location..don't hesitate to contact me, by messenger.

Kind regards

Dromiopsis

Hi Dromiopsis,

Ctenopyge looks good to me... Congrats for now until you can find a complete example! emo57.gif

Thanks for the confirmation, I am surprised by the diversity and the quality of your documents!

I know more or less the level now...I have to find the one where they are complete..not easy....perhaps in one month or in spring...will see!

Thanks again

Dromiopsis

I have a few papers on Ctenopyge including this excellent reference:

Ontogeny, structure and functional morphology of some spiny Ctenopyge

species (Trilobita) from the upper Cambrian of Västergötland, Sweden

Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (2003) 94:115-143

Authors: Euan N. K. Clarkson, John Ahlgren and Cecilia M. Taylor

If you send me a PM with email address I can send them for you.

Hi Dromiopsis,

Ctenopyge looks good to me... Congrats for now until you can find a complete example! emo57.gif

post-4301-0-91173700-1347840744_thumb.jpg

Wouahhh ! What a nice trilo ! I never seen that in real or in a book ! Thanks !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 7 months later...

Here is another small trilobite from upper Cambrian Brantevik/Gislövshammar.Many thanks to Dromiopsis for all information.

Olenus? 0,7mm

post-11524-0-78742800-1366476135_thumb.jpg

Brachyaspidon microps
Wheeler Shale, Cambrian
House Range, Utah

post-6808-0-13208000-1366483073_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

• 2 weeks later...

This little guy is going to be at the beginning of my growth series.

Anatphrus vigilans

Maquoketa Formation

Northeast Iowa

post-3840-0-47689800-1368104013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caleb

ok , so not counting my Ditomopyge this one is the only complete devonian bug I brought back from Morocco ( well now it is the only one , because the pygidium of the second one detached itself from the matrix back home and was lost during unwrapping... :wacko: ). Approx 1 cm width, .8cm length.

post-9611-0-43759400-1368210421_thumb.jpg

post-9611-0-01064900-1368210434_thumb.jpg

No clue about possible identification, so if anybody has an idea....

PS: Hum this is akward, the image downloader rotates pics !

Edited by taj

These seem large by comparison. Middle Cambrian

House Range, Millard County, Utah.Photo #1 & #2 are Bolaspidella sp. #3 Peronopsis interstricta and I think #4 are juvenile Elrathia kingi.

post-6292-0-52410800-1368213197_thumb.jpg

post-6292-0-51886700-1368213210_thumb.jpg

post-6292-0-21070100-1368213222_thumb.jpg

post-6292-0-01515300-1368213260_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rockaholic

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few of my tiny trilos from the Wheeler Shale, House Range, Utah.

These were found in matrix surrounding an Elrathia kingi on a block of rock, purchased at a museum shop.

I believe they are Bolaspidellas and Elrathias.

post-2806-0-33395700-1370140688.jpg

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...

Here are 3- one each from Iowa, Kentucky, and Illinois. The match stick was easier to measure than the lil bugs. Its 1 3/4" for scale.

Thanks for an interesting idea for sharing fossils. Excuse the poor quality of the photographs. I love my camera but it's not the greatest for close-ups.

post-11310-0-06499000-1371948194_thumb.jpg

Here is my smallest Anataphrus vigilans sitting next to one of our largest.

post-3840-0-94766900-1372093964_thumb.jpg

And this is one of my favorite finds this year. Measuring in at 1cm a tiny Gabriceraurus from the Platteville Fm.

post-3840-0-02963800-1372094107_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Here is my smallest Anataphrus vigilans sitting next to one of our largest.

attachicon.gifAnataphrus.jpg

And this is one of my favorite finds this year. Measuring in at 1cm a tiny Gabriceraurus from the Platteville Fm.

attachicon.gif2.JPG

Cool Caleb, love that little Gabriceraurus!