Sawfish rostrum from Kem Kem is it real?

Jurassicz1

I have thought about buying this sawfish rostrum from the Cretaceous Kem Kem Beds in Morocco. Is it real? Does it have any restoration?17590_Del_av_snuten_til_sagrokke_1.thumb.jpg.19cd14a9ff198042a21fb279407eff7d.jpg17590_Del_av_snuten_til_sagrokke_2.thumb.jpg.cc60ec9a6d443434b919b03aee9cea1f.jpg17590_Del_av_snuten_til_sagrokke_3.thumb.jpg.c6f2a71ebd9cfff08acc01c5e18f4879.jpg17590_Del_av_snuten_til_sagrokke_4.thumb.jpg.85317160e798786963e473e0d27aed19.jpg

This looks very much all original. It's possible it has been repaired along those large cracks. But I wouldn't worry about that too much. If anything, the only thing I'd worry about is that it looks a little fragile.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

30 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

This looks very much all original. It's possible it has been repaired along those large cracks. But I wouldn't worry about that too much. If anything, the only thing I'd worry about is that it looks a little fragile.

Ok thanks for the answer so if I buy it i can stabalize with cyanocrylate? If its fragile?

It's just that the cracks look a bit fragile. But generally bone from the Kem Kem is fairly sturdy.

Personally, what I would do...

I would prep is and stabilize it t the same time. If it hasn't been tampered with, then the sediment should be fairly loose in most places. I would clean parts with a dental pick. But a small knife would work too. Once a local area is cleaned I would use cyanoacrylate to stabilize the cracks. If you use cyanoacrylate before cleaning, you will likely make the sediment much harder to remove if there's any still left. You can use B-72 for stabilization of the whole thing. Using B-72 on the sediment itself wouldn't be as much of a problem since it's more easily reversible.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite