Some Shark Teeth From The Weekend In Galveston

silverphoenix

I took a walk on the beach this weekend in Galveston and found a few interesting shark teeth, including a rare (for that area) tiger shark tooth--my best yet! (and only 4th)

I don't know the age on these; I have found some that I Know are fossilized and others I Know are new. It's always a mix, but that's what you get when you beach hunt--everything is always out of context.

Second picture is all the teeth I have found so far.

DSCI0083.jpg

DSCI0086-1.jpg

Wow. I like the lighter cream colors.

Those are a lot of teeth just walking on the beach.

Certainly adds to the enjoyment of the day.

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I think that's the best haul from Galveston I've ever seen. Good eye and great finds.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I took a walk on the beach this weekend in Galveston and found a few interesting shark teeth, including a rare (for that area) tiger shark tooth--my best yet! (and only 4th)

I don't know the age on these; I have found some that I Know are fossilized and others I Know are new. It's always a mix, but that's what you get when you beach hunt--everything is always out of context.

Silverphoenix,

I have heard that the teeth are Pleistocene. The tiger shark is the modern species, Galeocerdo cuvier, which appeared in the Pliocene or perhaps Latest Miocene. It's hard to say because most of the modern shark species were present in the Pliocene. I have seen photos of great white teeth from there. The great white appeared in the Earliest Pliocene. If you find some identifiable mammal remains, they might help pin down the age for at least some of the teeth.

These look like a lot of the teeth we find here in MD as well as in VA. You are probably hovering back and forth between periods. Have any makos or megs been found on this beach?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I know one great white has been found in Galveston--I'm hopeful that I will find one someday; who knows. I only have one sandshark tooth. I guess most of these are bull shark teeth?

I just installed an underwater fishing light there in about 10-15 feet of water---I Know I saw a six foot shark in there and a couple four footers. I saw something that looked like it was 10 ft long by my estimates, but I doubt there's any shark in galveston that big--it was probably just some huge fish.

Hopefully I can get down there again soon so I can add to my pile. Stingray season is coming up, so it will be time to debarb some rays and make fishing a little safer for others...and add to my barb collection! :D

I just installed an underwater fishing light there in about 10-15 feet of water---I Know I saw a six foot shark in there and a couple four footers. I saw something that looked like it was 10 ft long by my estimates, but I doubt there's any shark in galveston that big--it was probably just some huge fish.

An underwater fishing light? I'm going fishing with you, buddy! I've seen what was probably an 8 foot tarpon launch itself completely out of the water down there. I've heard a few tales from the locals about 10 foot (or longer) sharks around there. :o

You've just found these teeth on the beach. Are they coming from the sea or are they washed out from the land. Because if i walk the beach in The Netherlands, all the teeth that i find are rolled by the waves and don't have these nice serrations anymore. Wish i could find them in this condition at our beaches.

greets Patrick

An underwater fishing light? I'm going fishing with you, buddy! I've seen what was probably an 8 foot tarpon launch itself completely out of the water down there. I've heard a few tales from the locals about 10 foot (or longer) sharks around there. :o

Wow, well maybe that was a shark then. I don't of anything else that wide with that fin structure and those movements. It nearly blacked out the whole light and this thing was close to the surface. It went through 4 or 5 times until it finally snagged a fish, so I know I wasn't just seeing things. You won't catch me going in that water!!! I'll try out those lights out in a couple weeks. I may have to have my shotgun with me in case I catch one of those sharks since I use a metal leader..... :o

Patrick, these are mostly washed up, though I don't doubt that some are buried and then washed out again.

Dang, I never find shark teeth at Galveston. I think next time I catch a shark fishing or find a dead one I am just going to have to grab at least one tooth ;-)

Dang, I never find shark teeth at Galveston. I think next time I catch a shark fishing or find a dead one I am just going to have to grab at least one tooth ;-)

I never see them unless I am looking for them. I never new they were there until somebody told me. Then I started finding them.

yeah the barbs are very scary--I was cut by one when I tried to break it off of a stingray (bad idea!). The second time I was hit good in the finger--scariest part is that they will NOT come out the way they came...you have to push them all the way through to get them out... I hope to collect a lot more this summer; so far I only have 20. The best way is to put a bucket over the ray with the tail sticking out, step on the tail, and use garden shears to cut off the barb. The stingray goes unharmed, any fishermen who catch it go unharmed, and I get a cool souvenir :D

I never used to find the teeth either until I stumbled upon one--from then on, I started looking for them and finding them.

I have just held them down by their built in handle and slid a knife up under the barb. I did catch one that had a barb a lot farther down on the tail than I had seen before. Since I didn't see it where expected, I thought I had a barbless ray. As I was removing the hook, I got a surprise as it whipped its tail across my stomach. A nice, irritating scratch.

hey silverphoenix I thought you might be interested in seeing my tat. Got it back in 2003. Wish I could get a better pic, but I'm alone.

post-462-12679444476884_thumb.jpg

Chase, could it have been a dolphin?

There are big tigers out there, too and they rarely come into the shallows except at night.

The large bulls sit outside the third bar all the time though...

As for great white teeth I've seen at least a dozen come out of there over the past several years, but I've never found one myself. Then again, I don't usually look for teeth there...

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

• 3 years later...
  • New Members

Hi, silverphoenix... I realize this topic is 3 years old, but hope you can help. My family and I have been going to Galveston since 1968, when I was only nine years old. We used to stay at Jamaica Beach. At the time, the "shell rubble" where we found sharks teeth, was 6 inches deep all along the shoreline. We've been to the beach every year since then. The "rubble" has been dramatically diminishing and is now almost non-existent. We all used to live for shark-teeth hunting. About 16 years ago, my daughter found 518 during our week at Jamaica Beach. We hardly find any anymore. Two years ago, we found some on the Seawall close to 61st street. Driving on the seawall, we spotted the "rubble" from the car and pulled over quickly! We miss our favorite pastime. Where did you find these pictured on this topic?

An article about the shark's teeth found along Texas beaches is:

Robb, A. J., III and G. Wolf, Sr., 2008, Neogene Sharks Teeth

from Along the Texas Gulf Coast. The Backbender's Gazette.

vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 14-20.

It can be downloaded from http://www.hgms.org/BBG/Aug08.pdf

It has pictures and lists references for identifying them.

Yours,

Paul H.

Edited by Oxytropidoceras