Strange objects in metamorphic formation

Kato

I don't believe these are fossils given they are found in metamorphic rock. Lengthwise, the longest 'tube' shape is over 6 feet. Age of the formations is approximately 200 million years. No idea of the rock formation as I was just out wandering back into some canyons northwest of Las Cruces, NM about 20 miles. Robledo Mountains but not in the Prehistoric Trackways National Monument.

Decent sized volcanic plug about 0.75 miles away with intrusive igneous formations spread throughout the area.

By observation in the photo there are 4 'tubes'. 2 pairs of 2 tubes.

They appear to be relatively straight with a slight spiral (maybe) of the material. Maybe.

Zoom into the largest tube in the center of the photo for my lack of conviction. My thought was maybe solid magma tube except that would be igneous.

Sorry, no better photos. These were 8 feet above ground on a near vertical wall. It was tough but I did get close enough climbing the wall to dislodge 2 small specimens. Those are yet to be cleaned for final inspection under magnification but there was no discernable organic structures at first glance. No way to get a close-up one handed on that rock face either. 

Any ideas? I passed many of these outcrops and only this one had any such oddities.

885696804_strangeitemsinformation.thumb.JPG.66214f11b85e7742fe4d3f8448fd347a.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

No idea, but tree trunks in ignimbrite / volcanic ash :unsure:?

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

No idea, but tree trunks in ignimbrite / volcanic ash :unsure:?

Franz Bernhard

Franz, thanks for the suggestion. I do recall walking a specific rock bed at the bottom of adjacent canyons. The material in the photo containing the possible tree trunks is above that bed.

My memory recalls that 3 canyons further from the volcanic plug (perhaps another 0.5 miles) the material layer in question becomes more unconsolidated and quite loose. The material there was relatively coarse and no larger than 3/8" (10mm) and very easy to disturb by hand.