Yucatan Trip

Alessandro A.

Hi all

In May I will go to Yucatan (Mexico): does someone know some fossil location? Or someone has some internet link to give me?

My last question: Does someone know if fossil collection is lawful in Mexico??

Thanks for your attention

Bye all

Alessandro

I believe that all fossils in Mexico are property of Mexico and that they would likely be confiscated at customs.

I believe that all fossils in Mexico are property of Mexico and that they would likely be confiscated at customs.

From what I've heard, confiscation may not be the end of it!

There are stories of rather harsh treatment, even for modern seashells and pretty stones.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If you get a wild hair, I suggest taking the jet-ferry from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel. Rent a vw for $50, and drive south to Punta Sur. (don't stop at anywhere on the way....it all sucks) Sit in one of the hammocks at the Bob Marley Bar, and enjoy the sunshine. :rolleyes:

If you get a wild hair, I suggest taking the jet-ferry from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel. Rent a vw for $50, and drive south to Punta Sur. (don't stop at anywhere on the way....it all sucks) Sit in one of the hammocks at the Bob Marley Bar, and enjoy the sunshine. :rolleyes:

Hey....that's a 1,000 posts! I feel confident that there were at least 5 that had some sort of significant meaning. :)

Hey....that's a 1,000 posts! I feel confident that there were at least 5 that had some sort of significant meaning. :)

Glad to see you around Travis :)

I don't know of any places to collect in Mexico, but it sounds like if I did I'd have problems.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

According to the records, there were eight... :P

Seriously though, congratulations! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon

From what I've heard, confiscation may not be the end of it!

There are stories of rather harsh treatment, even for modern seashells and pretty stones.

Hmmm, I have seen a few vertebrate fossils from Mexico for sale. One dealer in Tucson

regularly goes down the Baja peninsula to get small boulders to cut into slices of incredible "seafood chowder" called Crawstone, and then how about amber from Chiapas. I wonder if it's all about the Benjamins dinero?

From what I heard fossils and drugs are just about the same, if you get stopped

It's an holiday so I want avoid troubles....

If fossils are prohibited I hope only to find some recent shark teeth when I will dive...

Thaks all

It's really simple. Do not pick up fossils in Mexico. They are treated like artifacts (considered national treasures, rare antiquities) and you can go to prison for years. Back in the 70's and before, it wasn't a big deal. Tourists and collectors used to bring home shells, sand dollars, shark teeth, ammonites, and mammal remains. Yes, people still bring stuff home from time to time (even customs officials often overlook shells and shark teeth if they look modern), but they do not realize the risk they are taking.

Let me tell you a quick story. There was a museum curator, a Mexican citizen, who was stopped by police and found to be carrying ammonites. Not interested in his explanation, he was hauled off to jail. The only reason he's not still there is he had a relative high enough in government to pull some strings. Even with strong political connections, it still took three weeks before he was released. He was collecting for the museum and he still got arrested.

There's a site for ammonites near Aldama. You get big Sphenodiscus (around a foot in diameter) that take a polish from there. The weird thing is the government used to allow the export of the ammonites, but only if they were sliced in half, because then they're considered "decorations." I used to see them at the Tucson shows in the 90's. I don't think the halves can be exported any longer.

Yeah, there's great stuff down there but I would not mess with it if I were you.

Yes, I agree that colecting in Mexico could be a "risky bussiness"...

As far as I can remember, in Yucatan their are enourmous layers of Plio-Pleistocene emerged coral reef.

Nevertheless, If you found a fossil, you can do a necklace out of it, and say "it was buy as a souvenir"...(I wouldnt do it myself!).

Soooo, enjoy the holidays, if you see fossils, take loads of pics to show us (pic hunting), and just reeeelaaax, maaan!

post-62-1267869532109_thumb.jpg

I agree and before you get back on the ferry stop at Carlos and Charlies for a few drinks. It will be memorable if you go before the cruise ships set sail.guarranteed. I've looked for fossils there never saw anything lots of limestone though.