Whale Of A Day....

FossilForKids

Spent about an hour and a half yesterday at Capitola and the them was.....Whale. I found a very nice 7 inch section of rib, a caudal (or caudle?) Whale vert hiding in a concretion, two adjoining smaller whale verts whose vetebral disc were replaced by Calcite and one of the best Moon Snails I have ever found there about 4 and 1/2 inches across. And no beach ######'s (long story)!

post-1292-12680100929451_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12680101123208_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12680101312701_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12680101501688_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12680101689082_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

The calcite is very interesting. Cool B)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Nice rib section!:)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Neat mixture of material. I never did get down to the Capitola area to collect when we were in CA. Did some around Monterey and then up to San Fran to Napa/Sonoma/Santa Rosa areas.

I like the moon snail. Is that one of the Polinices species? I think I have some very small ones from the Merced Formation up near Santa Rosa. Regards, Chris

Neat mixture of material. I never did get down to the Capitola area to collect when we were in CA. Did some around Monterey and then up to San Fran to Napa/Sonoma/Santa Rosa areas.

I like the moon snail. Is that one of the Polinices species? I think I have some very small ones from the Merced Formation up near Santa Rosa. Regards, Chris

I believe it is a type of Polinices.

That moon snail is very nice John!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

I believe it is a type of Polinices.

John,

That's a huge Polinices (largest I've seen) and it's in great shape. I think the species is P. lewisi.

John,

That's a huge Polinices (largest I've seen) and it's in great shape. I think the species is P. lewisi.

Thanks Jess! When I saw the top portion of it peeking out of the concretion I had no idea it would be som complete and so large.

Great pictures Deborah. the only large one that got away frim you is the 8 vert large spinal section. I bet you'll see it next time :D

There's at least another half dozen mysticete skulls there that I can think of off the top of my head. Last summer I lugged off a small partial mysticete skull (Herpetocetus) in a concretion; now that I've finally finished a 5-year prep project on a mysticete skull in a concretion from another locality, I'll be starting that prep project after spring break. Bobby

post-2819-12684485811603_thumb.jpg

Great pictures Deborah. the only large one that got away frim you is the 8 vert large spinal section. I bet you'll see it next time :D

post-2819-12684485153803_thumb.jpg