ChristineR

This is from the temblor formation, Sharktooth Hill. 
Let me know if better photos are needed. Posting photos from my phone is unpredictable. 
These tiny teeth (?) are on silt matrix. Whether they are prepped depends on an ID, as the silt is rather loose.  There seems to be some chance that bone is beneath what is visible. 

one bit broke off, and might be glued into position. Below the Section remaining on the matrix, appears to be more teeth of a different shape or angle, which are partially  shown in the final photo.

I’m grateful for any help with the ID, or prep suggestions.  This loose silt is a challenge to say the least. EEBB363E-FF67-4519-9024-892EA6F26E6B.thumb.jpeg.48c6a493626da1a387dda85c30c979a1.jpeg 

715AF46F-58A0-4061-9C41-59DCC823B53D.jpeg

79434975-3D93-44DD-8D9F-DF8CD087FBBF.jpeg

7771D68F-E6F0-4568-9759-0CC59F259502.jpeg

E118752D-9792-403E-ACA2-F6418FCAE57F.jpeg

Edited by ChristineR

Those are some weird structures that I agree look vaguely reminiscent of tooth plates. However, their half-moon shape kind of throws me off, especially since I don't have a lot of experience with tooth plates. This being the holiday season and a slow time on the forum, I'm sure someone will be around sooner or later that will be able to help you. And while I'm not sure on their experience with the deposits this was found in, I think it would be interesting to hear @Rockwood, @LordTrilobite and @Anomotodon's opinions on whether this could be fish remains or not...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

It reminds me of a parrotfish tooth plate but I don’t know if parrotfish occur in the Miocene of California.

• I found this Informative 1

15 hours ago, ChristineR said:

Whether they are prepped depends on an ID

I'm afraid the inverse may be true.

Unsolved mystery or inevitable disaster ? I'm not sure.

• Enjoyed 1

I agree that this looks like a tooth plate of a type of fish.

I'd say stabilize it and then prep it to find out more.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Unsolved mystery or inevitable disaster

Bwahahaha! You have defined the crux of my problem.  

5 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I'd say stabilize it and then prep it to find out more.

Thank you, LT. My experience in such a prep is, well, nonexistent. :Confused05:  

How might I stabilize the specimen in a way which permits prep afterwards? I am a pick and manual scribe preparator.  

Most of my experience has been with matrix more forgiving than packed silt.