How Does One Cope With Pyrite Rot?

pleecan

Apples first brought this up..... now I am curious what others are doing. I have posted on this thread to get a better exposure.

Pyrite rot will eventually destroy a pyritized fossils. Tell us your experience on how you cope with this phenomena. Some people simply refuse to collect unstable pyritized fossils... but for those who has pyritized fossils in their collections.... this thread may be of some value in terms of techniques of preservation. Ironic that something that has lasted for millions of years in the ground when exposed to air simply self destructs in a short time period.... reverting back to dust.

I have collected some pyritized goniates from Arkona in Nov 2009.... they seem fine right now stored in a ziplock bag.... ...

keeping a nervous watch.

PL

I don't personally like the look much myself, but I sprayed my pyrite fossils with a clear dull spray. It does leave them a bit glossy but so far it has kept them pristine.

Pyrite from some locations is terribly unstable, while that from other sites endures for year after year. Chemistry is pretty cool, now that I don't have to study it :blush:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Pyrite from some locations is terribly unstable, while that from other sites endures for year after year. Chemistry is pretty cool, now that I don't have to study it :blush:

Still love chemistry, even after 30 years... ;)

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

For my pyritized fossils from the Hunsruck-slates, Bundenbach, I am using the Ethanolamine Thioglycollate method:

http://www.vertpaleo.org/education/documents/Shinya_and_Bergwall_2007.pdf

Thomas

Hi Thomas: Thanks for the link... do you do anything special after Ethanolamine Thioglycollate treatment? My pyritized goniatites were found in a damp rotted shale deposit that looks like clay..... the moisture in the ground would have kill any unstable pyrite... the fact that the pyritization looks intact may suggest greater stability in this particular geographic location as Auspex eluded to. I am not to worry about the sulphuric acids on the fossil as the fossils were sonicated in ultrasonic bath to clean hence diluting acids to insignificant levels as the tap water is very high in dissolved calcium carbonates that further assist in acid neutralization. The ziplock bag is a polymer that will help keep some of the moisture out which will also aid slowing down pyrite decomposition.

Peter

I don't personally like the look much myself, but I sprayed my pyrite fossils with a clear dull spray. It does leave them a bit glossy but so far it has kept them pristine.

Is it an acrylic spray that you use?

Peter

Do a search of this forum for "pyrite disease." You'll find extensive discussion and some techniques (none of which is a sure cure, I think).

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Peter..... Ive had a couple of pyrite ammonites for around 20 years not coated or treated in anyway.... they seem stable enough.... If they start to decay, i will have to find another .... Ive also had some that have shown signs of decay after a couple of years.... I tend to throw them away straight away if i notice it, I have been told the rot can transfer from one fossil to another... maybe through the localised chemical changes that are taking place.... can someone confirm this?

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hi Thomas: Thanks for the link... do you do anything special after Ethanolamine Thioglycollate treatment? ... The ziplock bag is a polymer that will help keep some of the moisture out which will also aid slowing down pyrite decomposition.

Peter

I just try to keep them dry. If the humidity is under 30%, it's safe. I store them in plastic containers with a desiccant bag in it (silica gel with moisture indicator - turns pink if it is depleted). Bundenbach fossils are not very sensitive.

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Do a search of this forum for "pyrite disease." You'll find extensive discussion and some techniques (none of which is a sure cure, I think).

Thanks Harry for the helpful tip!

Peter

Peter..... Ive had a couple of pyrite ammonites for around 20 years not coated or treated in anyway.... they seem stable enough.... If they start to decay, i will have to find another .... Ive also had some that have shown signs of decay after a couple of years.... I tend to throw them away straight away if i notice it, I have been told the rot can transfer from one fossil to another... maybe through the localised chemical changes that are taking place.... can someone confirm this?

Thank Steve.. gives me some hope that some more forms of stable pyrite can survive with0ut treatment....

Peter

I just try to keep them dry. If the humidity is under 30%, it's safe. I store them in plastic containers with a desiccant bag in it (silica gel with moisture indicator - turns pink if it is depleted). Bundenbach fossils are not very sensitive.

Thomas

Thank you Thomas for sharing the useful information.

Peter