Fossil Spots In Nj?

JUMBO WUMBO

• New Members

I need a place to find fossils in northern NJ. Also, in general where should I look to find fossils. Im kind of new to this so please help me out! Thanks!

Northern NJ has fossils but where exactly to tell you is not easy. I used to visit a place called Rubin Hill near Montague. It wasn't a hill but it was rich with fossils. Look for Rubin Hill Road and Clove Road. It was an empty lot on the NW side of the intersection but back beyond some houses. Otherwise look for small road cuts in that general area. But it's also a lot of private property so tread lightly.

Another suggestion is to head up 209 into NY above Port Jervis. Some, not all, of the cuts along 209 expose fossiliferous layers of the Middle Devonian. Clams, brachiopod, corals and even a few trilobites can be found. But you will have to just pull over and check as you go.

You need to get your hands on some geologic bedrock maps for that area. Check out the state's geo survey, the maps are relatively cheap. Then you need to look for exposures of Silurian through Devonian rocks. Especially Lower Devonian. The Helderberg and Tristates Groups have some formations rich in fossils. Compare the geo maps to current road maps to find locations. But remember state parks are off limits to collectors.

You might want to hook up with the NJ or NY Paleo Societies. They both run field trips in the tristates region.

Good luck.

Try checking out a few months of hunting trip posts for idea's.

Also google Big Brook for a place to visit.