Various teeth from north Florida river

cava.zachary

Hi all, I have some teeth from a recent fossil hunting trip in north Florida and was hoping some of you with more experience might be able to help with identification. A couple look like they are from a mammalian herbivore of some kind (ungulate?), another appears to be from a carnivore, perhaps a canid? It looks like part is broken off and I wonder if it might have once had a second root. I have a small shark tooth, which looks similar to photos of lemon shark teeth. Finally, several crocodilian teeth. I don't know if there is a way to distinguish Alligator mississippiensis teeth from other extinct relatives, but I do notice most of these teeth have a distinct ridge, if that is a diagnostic feature. I appreciate the help!

P.S. What do you all like to use for displaying small fossils like these?

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

1st -  look up lower left jaw of Paleaolama Mirifica. You have crenulations on this camel/llama tooth.

2nd. Predator.  about 50% of a carnassial. Accurate measurements in millemeters.  Length of chewing surface is most important.

3rd is a Mako shark. I am probably wrong on Mako. Others may tell you which one.

4th are all Alligator.. Crocodile is very rare find in Florida.  Much thinner tooth with verticle striations.

NICE Finds,  :thumbsu:

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you @Shellseeker! To clarify, the first 2 images are one tooth, and images 3-4 are a second tooth. Think they are both camel/llama? Regarding the partial carnassial, it measures 11mm for the chewing surface.

23 hours ago, cava.zachary said:

Finally, several crocodilian teeth. I don't know if there is a way to distinguish Alligator mississippiensis teeth from other extinct relatives, but I do notice most of these teeth have a distinct ridge, if that is a diagnostic feature. I appreciate the help!

Gator teeth have a distinctive pair of carina (ridges) running from the tip down opposite sides of the tooth. To me they always look like they were formed in a 2-part mold. ;) We have a few other crocodilians that have multiple carina (ridges) and much more narrow teeth which is more closely related to gharials. They are much less common fossil finds. See image 5D in the second link below:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/thecachampsa-americana/

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/alligator-olseni/

There have been several chrono-species in Florida throughout the Miocene to Plio/Pleistocene but the teeth are very conservative and not at all diagnostic. Alligator sp. would be an appropriate label for your finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

Thank you @Harry Pristis, attaching occlusal view of tooth #2 here. And wow, didn't realize there was a fish tooth in there. How can you tell it's from a fish? Any idea what kind of fish? Including some better images of that tooth as well. @digit thanks for the info -- the carina definitely remind me of the flash from a mold too!

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

I believe the shark tooth to be a sand tiger, Carcharias sp 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

12 hours ago, hemipristis said:

I believe the shark tooth to be a sand tiger, Carcharias sp 

Possibly, a lateral--definitely not an anterior which has very U-shaped roots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carcharias_taurus_teeth.jpg

Carcharias_taurus_teeth.jpg

14 hours ago, cava.zachary said:

And wow, didn't realize there was a fish tooth in there. How can you tell it's from a fish? Any idea what kind of fish? Including some better images of that tooth as well.

IMG_2391.JPG IMG_2392.JPG

Possibly the Bowfin, Amia calva, we find these at a number of sites in Florida. It's a beautiful (yet scary) fish that's been around for millions of years (and still swims our waters).

https://u.osu.edu/biomuseum/2015/09/21/fish-face/olympus-digital-camera-5/

Amiafront-22ox97k.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, digit said:

Possibly the Bowfin, Amia calva, we find these at a number of sites in Florida. It's a beautiful (yet scary) fish that's been around for millions of years (and still swims our waters).

Ah yes, those are cool fish. I would occasionally get them in my traps when I was doing turtle research in the area years ago.