My Ny Bug Hunt

Ramo

Thanks to the internet, I was able to find a place to hunt trilobites in NY. I was in the same area last Jan., but the snow was about 2 feet deep. (Special thanks to a couple forum members for giving me some tips) Here is how things went.

I drove like a mad-man across Nh, Vt, and Ny, to arrive at a hotel south of Buffalo at about 11:30 last night. I went to sleep with visions of fossils, keeping me from getting much sleep. (that and the guy next door who snored so loud I thought he had snuck into my bed)

This morning I awoke at 6:30 and was listening to the radio as I got ready. The DJ said it was 3 degrees out and it was supposed to get up to 13. I looked outside, and the sun was getting ready to rise with no clouds in the sky. It looked nice??? After getting on my warmest cloths I went outside to a very warm morning. I then realized that the radio was on a Canadian station, and they were talking in Degrees Centigrade!

I arrived at the parking lot, and started down the edge of the crick on large chunks of ice and snow. The water was high due to the warm weather, and I was hugging the cliff, trying to move along. I looked down into the water and saw it was only about 3" deep. A few steps later, I broke through the snow, and into the water. Then I broke through the bottom. The melt water was flowing on top of the ice, and the water was just over my boot top. (as usual)

I then went back to the road and crossed on the bridge and followed a trail down to the lake shore. Along the way, I used a fallen tree as a bridge to cross a little feeder creek. When I got to the lake, I started finding lots of pieces. I guess that's what trilobite hunting is all about. I couldn't crack a rock without finding at least one or two pieces. I then went down a little further and found My best find. Laying at the base of the nearly verticle wall was a rolled trilobite about the size of an acorn!!! I found another complete one, and many more that may be complete after I get them home and cleaned up. I only hunted about 1 1/2 hours and headed back to the truck. Crossing that tree with about 50lbs of rocks in my pack made me a little nervous, but I made it. I'll get better photos when I get home, but I need to get some sleep and hit the road early tomorrow to get home.

Sorry this was so long, hope you enjoy.

post-40-12683654475214_thumb.jpg

post-40-12683654682396_thumb.jpg

post-40-12683654934073_thumb.jpg

post-40-1268365510555_thumb.jpg

post-40-12683656157205_thumb.jpg

post-40-12683656333757_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Happy to hear your efforts paid off. Get those photos posted ASAP. tongue.gif

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Nice, Ramo. It looks 13 there. We got up to 78 today. Our unusually prolonged winter has finally moved on. Hope you find some nice goodies in that 50 pounds of rock.

Thanks for sharing. Your heart must have mist a beat when you saw that little beauty lying on the ground. Hope that you got a lot of nice ones in those rocks to.

Greetings Patrick

Cograts on the finds Bowkill! Good luck with cleaning up the rocks you brought home.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Cograts on the finds Bowkill! Good luck with cleaning up the rocks you brought home.

Excellent Bowkill. Good effort, good finds.

WooHoo! What a great trip :)

Murphy's Law (he was a fossil hunter, you know) states that boots are never quite tall enough...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sounds like a good trip, It doesn't look like that area had much snow at all. Wait? It's March, all ready? geeze!

I'll be waiting patiently for those pics!

Great finds! I'm excited to head up there in another month or possibly sooner. Any other fauna found or were you just Trilobite hunting?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Great report of your hunt and it looks like you found some nice goodies also. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

Where is this place??? I wanna go too... :wub: I'm going to be slightly northeast of Buffalo towards the end of May..would love to stop and explore this place while I'm that close by and any other places anyone could suggest.