Ossicle

These are from the Oxford Clay in Cambridgeshire, Callovian, Peterborough Member at Yaxley in Cambridgeshire and for one reason or another have stumped me. 

I'm not convinced these are all fossils. The first doesn't quite look like the oolitic limestone I have, but it's what they remind me of, and I think they may be oolites rather than a fossil. 

2022-02-05-20-53-47.png

2022-02-05-20-54-36.png

I suspect this one is some type of worm tube. It looks a bit different from the other worms I've found, but it could be Serpula. It's not quite straight enough for a belemnite fragment. Like the others today, it's very small.

2022-02-05-20-56-24.png

2022-02-05-20-55-45.png

I can't decide if this is a jagged break on a shell, or something closer to a shaped scale. I haven't been able to get the clay off the back, it's very hard and the piece is really small.

2022-02-05-22-13-13.png

2022-02-05-22-13-27.png

This looked vaguely claw shaped and had an interesting pattern, but I'm not sure whether it's just an interesting shaped rock or something crustacean.

20220205_234435.jpg

2022-02-05-22-18-04.png

2022-02-05-22-18-20.png

2022-02-05-22-20-14.png

Interesting specimens.  It is difficult to tell from the photo but I wonder if the first specimens are foraminifera?  There are some described from the Oxford Clay but I am not sure if they were that big.  I agree that the second specimen looks like a partially compressed Serpulid worm tube - the sculpturing is visible in the photo.  I don't think that the last specimen is an obvious fossil.  

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

The first one resembles Pisolitic Limestone which is coarser than Oolitic.

According to the grain size (max 2mm) they are ooids . :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisolite

Edited by abyssunder
  • Enjoyed 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library