Fuzzy Bug And A Hairy Seed!

FossilForKids

I finished polishing some Chiapas amber and this bug was ded center but it's to deep for a clear picture :angry: Also here's a leaf and what I think is one hairy seed!

post-1292-12687932817354_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12687932955693_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12687933077972_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

those photos are pretty cool. you do a good job with them. each piece of amber is a little surprise package...

I finished polishing some Chiapas amber and this bug was ded center but it's to deep for a clear picture :angry: Also here's a leaf and what I think is one hairy seed!

You might want to consider shaving off some of it to better display the bug. I don't work with Amber but I'll bet someone here could tell you how to do it if you don't know how.

Be true to the reality you create.

Bug looks a bit like an earwig.

Well, except for the fact that earwigs don't have wings. Actually lots of insects have cerci (those things that seem to stick out from the end of the abdomen).

Don

yes, the insect needs more pepping.

Kevin Chomicki

I buffed down quite a bit just to get to that photo. I do not want to damage the insect.

FFK

How did you take those pictures? Do you use a microscope?

Donatella

I took those throug my microscope using a little Cannon digital camera through one of the eye pieces. If you go to the gallery on my page you'll see some much better photos taken the same way.

Thanks,

FFK

You need to get closer to the insect or you will not get pictures of sufficient quality. There also needs to be enough backlighting to get a good picture.

I suggest you get close to the insect with 400-600grit, then 2,000-3,000 grit, then polish with cerium/tin oxide, or, for people that do not have a lap, Toothpaste.

Kevin Chomicki

You need to get closer to the insect or you will not get pictures of sufficient quality. There also needs to be enough backlighting to get a good picture.

I suggest you get close to the insect with 400-600grit, then 2,000-3,000 grit, then polish with cerium/tin oxide, or, for people that do not have a lap, Toothpaste.

Kevin Chomicki

I used 120 then 600 then 1,500. I know what to do but I am reluctant for fear of damaging the insect.

FFK

Guest iguanodona

I took those throug my microscope using a little Cannon digital camera through one of the eye pieces. If you go to the gallery on my page you'll see some much better photos taken the same way.

Thanks,

FFK

You have very beautiful amber. I have only seen that before in jewelry.

Donatella

Edited by iguanodona