Unknown fossils - Receptaculites?

Doug Von Gausig

The two sides of a single small chunk of limestone show two very different fossils.

One side may be a Receptaculites, and the other I don't recognize.

The rock was found on the surface in an area of mixed cobble, formerly an ancient riverbed, so the origin is uncertain.

Most of the old limestones in the area are Devonian or Carboniferous. The stone's about 4 cm long.

The area it was found was also inhabited by the Sinagua people, who abandoned the site about 700 years ago. They could have transported the stone from somewhere or traded for it? Any ideas what these fossils are?

Fossilx-022822-IMG_0538-1m.jpg

Fossilx-022822-IMG_0543-1m.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Without being able to be more specific, it looks like a coral on one side, and the pygidium of a trilobite in the second photo.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The first image looks a bit more like a bryozoan to me, but I do agree with trilobite pygidium for the second image.

@DPS Ammonite  @piranha

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello Doug. Let’s look for some Verde Valley fossils before the weather gets too hot. How about some Devonian mollusks.

It is a piece of Redwall Fm. chert with fossil molds such as a trilobite pygidium, crinoid columnal and a bryozoan. 

Try scratching it with a steel knife blade. Chert should not scratch.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

23 minutes ago, piranha said:

The pygidium is Piltonia sp. Additional specimens showing the cephalon would help to determine the species.

Could it be one of the species mentioned in this paper re Redwall Fm. trilobites. Most trilobites from the Redwall have been called Phillipsia

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/David-Brezinski/publication/316313402_Trilobites_from_the_Redwall_Limestone_Mississippian_of_Arizona/links/5cc34e16299bf12097828547/Trilobites-from-the-Redwall-Limestone-Mississippian-of-Arizona.pdf?origin=publication_detail

https://bioone.org/journals/annals-of-carnegie-museum/volume-84/issue-2/007.084.0202/Trilobites-from-the-Redwall-Limestone-Mississippian-of-Arizona/10.2992/007.084.0202.short

53382125-8BFB-42F2-A873-0208CF026B88.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

We need to see if the cephalon is tuberculate. There is only one species (Phillipsia peroccidens) in North America, however that species does not have a tuberculate cephalon. All others have been classified as Piltonia. Here is another example of Piltonia (incorrectly labeled as Phillipsia) from Arizona posted on TFF with a tuberculate cephalon:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

6 minutes ago, piranha said:

We need to see if the cephalon is tuberculate. There is only one species (Phillipsia peroccidens) in North America, however that species does not have a tuberculate cephalon. All others have been classified as Piltonia. Here is another example of Piltonia (incorrectly labeled as Phillipsia) from Arizona posted on TFF with a tuberculate cephalon:

I have a lot of similar tail pieces. Should they be labeled Piltonia/Phillipsia indeterminants?