Video: how to maintain the chicago pneumatic CP9361 and CP9160 air scribes

hadrosauridae

Today's Fossil Friday contribution is about the chicago pneumatic air scribes.  Periodic maintenance is highly important, but many new owner dont know how or are intimidated to open them up.

• Enjoyed 2

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

nice video.  A couple of comments... taking the Chicago apart is also the best way to sharpen the stylus.  

Also, you took tool off of the air line... that is one step too many.  No need to remove the air line.    

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, jpc said:

nice video.  A couple of comments... taking the Chicago apart is also the best way to sharpen the stylus.  

Also, you took tool off of the air line... that is one step too many.  No need to remove the air line.    

Yeah, I knew it wasnt needed for maintenance, I took it off because the air line on it kept trying to pull it off the table and was generally making it a PIA to demonstrate.  

but youre right, I should have commented on the reason it was off, and that it wasnt part of cleaning.

Edited by hadrosauridae

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for this. I was intimidated to open it up (like you said).  Now I will go clean my tool and sharpen the stylus.  

• Thank You 1

Great video, as always, @hadrosauridae

One of the things I love about the Stone Company tools is the reduced maintenance. They require no oil, only a light coating of PTFE based lubricant (Vaseline is an acceptable alternative lubricant) on the stylus o-rings after every 50 hours of use. This is a lot less than what's required for the CP and Paleo Tools scribes. Also, since there's no oil applied, there's no opportunity to accidentally spray oil on the fossils. :P

I still love my Paleo Tools scribes but hate the maintenance process. :default_rofl:

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Great video. Thank you as I was given a CP and need to make sure it's clean and ready to use before I get going.