Upcoming Prep Project - The Green River Bird

Ptychodus04

Well, I guess it’s time for another bird update. I’m somewhere around 220 hours (I haven’t gotten a ton of work done in the last week). I ran into a patch of not sticky matrix! Wow, what a welcome change. My feathered friend quickly disabused me of any hope of an easy prep on the tail but it was nice while it lasted. I still haven’t reached the end of the feathers but I decided to give my back a break and work my way back up to the body before I go even further out.

FE87FFFC-FC6E-469B-BC15-177437BBFB1E.thumb.jpeg.744711e66c54fd44383e0d70ae0d809c.jpeg

• Enjoyed 14

Enjoying watching this fascinating process vicariously--its much easier on our backs than yours. ;)

If you had to estimate a percentage completion at this point, how far towards finished are you now?

:popcorn:

Cheers,

-Ken

This just keeps getting cooler and cooler.  I dont know how many preparators would have this much patience so some huge kudo's to you Kris. 

RB

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, digit said:

Enjoying watching this fascinating process vicariously--its much easier on our backs than yours. ;)

If you had to estimate a percentage completion at this point, how far towards finished are you now?

:popcorn:

Cheers,

-Ken

I’m probably 85%. I need to finish up the tail, continue my search for feathers in the body, and tackle the head.

5 hours ago, RJB said:

This just keeps getting cooler and cooler.  I dont know how many preparators would have this much patience so some huge kudo's to you Kris. 

RB

I’m definitely mentally done with this one. I need an easy prep to work on! Sticky matrix and feathers do not work well together. :duh2:

• Enjoyed 1

I didn’t think it was possible but you’ve finally found a fossil that i’m glad it’s not me prepping it! Love watching the progress but WOW! It’s way out of my weight class!

Wow, incredible specimen and prep!  When you prep something like this do you ever try to recolor/paint the prepped areas to look like the original matrix?  Do you seal the prepped area when finished prepping?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

On 2/10/2023 at 5:24 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

Well, I guess it’s time for another bird update. I’m somewhere around 220 hours (I haven’t gotten a ton of work done in the last week). I ran into a patch of not sticky matrix! Wow, what a welcome change. My feathered friend quickly disabused me of any hope of an easy prep on the tail but it was nice while it lasted. I still haven’t reached the end of the feathers but I decided to give my back a break and work my way back up to the body before I go even further out.

Incredible work!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 3:45 PM, Sjfriend said:

So sorry about your back, eyes and mental sanity. But, that is coming along great. So much detail.

These were all somewhat damaged already. :default_rofl:

Here’s an update pic from last night. I’m almost totally working with a needle at this point to remove the sticky bits of matrix.

12A09327-E311-467A-9C25-64FFB8271EB4.thumb.jpeg.8365ff9785ca5aa9029b99f2447d081f.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

Wow! This is looking great. :default_clap2:

This is a marathon effort, a Tour de France in the world of fossil prepping. 
I can only think of one crab I worked on, it didn’t take this long, but I really had to push myself sometimes to get in the workshop and keep going on that same fossil.

19 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

Wow! This is looking great. :default_clap2:

This is a marathon effort, a Tour de France in the world of fossil prepping. 
I can only think of one crab I worked on, it didn’t take this long, but I really had to push myself sometimes to get in the workshop and keep going on that same fossil.

Yah, sometimes the only thing that keeps me plugging away is the fact that I have a huge queue of projects stacking up behind this one. 

53 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Yah, sometimes the only thing that keeps me plugging away is the fact that I have a huge queue of projects stacking up behind this one. 

I started a nice set of matched croc jaws last year, and I was mentally done with them by the time winter (prep season) came about because of so many other things lined up behind it.  Fortunately at this point the fossils are all mine.  But I did turn down some paying work this winter to work on my own stuff.  

Great work by the way, on a great fossil.    

6 minutes ago, jpc said:

I started a nice set of matched croc jaws last year, and I was mentally done with them by the time winter (prep season) came about because of so many other things lined up behind it.  Fortunately at this point the fossils are all mine.  But I did turn down some paying work this winter to work on my own stuff.  

Great work by the way, on a great fossil.    

Thanks.

I tend to go the other way. I haven't prepped my own stuff in a long time. Even worse, I'll have a truckload of GRF material coming home this summer that I won't have time to prep. :P

30 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks.

I tend to go the other way. I haven't prepped my own stuff in a long time. Even worse, I'll have a truckload of GRF material coming home this summer that I won't have time to prep. :P

Clones..... lots of clones.

• I Agree 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks.

You can leave them at my house and I'll guarantee at least 70% will be waiting for you when you're ready to prep them!

• Enjoyed 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I'll have a truckload of GRF material coming home this summer that I won't have time to prep. :P

I’m sure you could figure out something to do with them! (Hint hint):heartylaugh:

I know the quality of your material, and Im sure you would have no problem in selling any excess, unprepped slabs. Heck, I'd like to have a few more bottom cap or 18" layer slabs to prep.

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

On 2/24/2023 at 5:09 PM, Randyw said:

I’m sure you could figure out something to do with them! (Hint hint):heartylaugh:

On 2/24/2023 at 5:12 PM, hadrosauridae said:

I know the quality of your material, and Im sure you would have no problem in selling any excess, unprepped slabs. Heck, I'd like to have a few more bottom cap or 18" layer slabs to prep.

I’ll likely have some to unload. Depends how much contract work I come back with as well. :default_faint:

On 2/25/2023 at 4:41 AM, RJB said:

I looked up the word 'perseverance' in the Websters dictionary and there was a picture of you.

RB

:default_rofl: only because I’m getting paid to finish!

On 2/24/2023 at 5:07 PM, Top Trilo said:

You can leave them at my house and I'll guarantee at least 70% will be waiting for you when you're ready to prep them!

That’s probably more than I would have with some of these other scoundrels on here. :default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 2

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That’s probably more than I would have with some of these other scoundrels on here. :default_rofl:

Fossils? What fossils? I don't remember you leaving any here....:ninja: