Fossil restoration

Joe_17

I wanted to try my hand at fossil restoration and wanted not know what sort of material is used ? I believe some kind of epoxy putty is used ? Is there any particular kind that's used for smaller pieces that can be carved into shape ?

Milliput is good (fine white) plus acrylic paints. A prep friend of mine swears by wood filler, of all things. Have a search on the forum for Milliput for more information.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sand, any glue and paint if you can be bothered.

I'm Moroccan. 449489204_Bigsmile.gif.5fc69aed3b593f13117759f6930cea27.gif

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

18 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Sand, any glue and paint if you can be bothered.

I'm Moroccan. 449489204_Bigsmile.gif.5fc69aed3b593f13117759f6930cea27.gif

:heartylaugh:

• Thank You 1

I'm sure there are lots of options out there of epoxy putty.  I've been happy with Paleobond PB122 PaleoPoxy 2 oz tube.  Its non shrinking and sands easily. 

A friend of mine swears by Durham water putty on his dinosaur repairs.

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, Troodon said:

I'm sure there are lots of options out there of epoxy putty.  I've been happy with Paleobond PB122 PaleoPoxy 2 oz tube.  Its non shrinking and sands easily. 

Does the paleo poxy have a strong scent ? I never worked with that before but have used epoxy putty . Just curious since I have animals sensitive to chemical smell so I would have to use it outside or in a well ventilated area .

Edited by Joe_17

35 minutes ago, Joe_17 said:

Does the paleo poxy have a strong scent ? I never worked with that before but have used epoxy putty . Just curious since I have animals sensitive to chemical smell so I would have to use it outside or in a well ventilated area .

You really need to chat with Paleobond on the precautions necessary for this product.  Every one is different and reacts differently.  I've always kneaded in my prep room and there was no objectionable odor.

• Enjoyed 1

You may use Apoxie Sculpt. This is very easy to work with and is almost completely oderless (at least for humans).

On 5/30/2022 at 5:48 AM, Troodon said:

I wonder if Durham's has any gluing strength.  My woman's intuition says not nearly anything like epoxy putty.  But to answer the OP question, I use Magic Sculpt... just another epoxy putty.  

6 hours ago, jpc said:

I wonder if Durham's has any gluing strength.  My woman's intuition says not nearly anything like epoxy putty.  But to answer the OP question, I use Magic Sculpt... just another epoxy putty.  

Never used it but makes sense.  Might be a good filler. 

On 6/1/2022 at 9:38 AM, jpc said:

I was at the prep person I use in Hill City for some of my material and noticed that she uses a combo of both.  Epoxy for joint strength but Durham's for shapes and fill.  She finds it much cheaper, easier to sand and texture with Durham's.  She says it dries rock hard and paints well.

20220606_102325.thumb.jpg.744c65d2d70196a39595b835d9f52541.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I ended up trying to restore a broken sloth claw I had laying around to try this stuff out.  Will paint it later .

received_520570859856151.jpeg

20220607_142058.jpg

received_1279678255898128.jpeg