I'ding Fossils By Surfing The 'net

Shamalama

So I'm doing research for a trip up to NY and Ontatio at the end of April and was reading through the "New York Paleontology" website (Click here for website) and I came across a page talking about the Hoxie Gorge. On the page they talk about a rare fossil that is more commonly found at this site call Plumalina. Plumalina link As I was reading and looking at the pictures I realized that I'd found something similar twenty years ago when I was a kid exploring a local Devonian Mahantango formation exposure. I'll go into more detail about the site another time but here is the fossil:

post-1408-12699852149583_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic from the aforementioned website for comparison:

post-1408-12699852638666_thumb.jpg

You can also see some superb pics on this Flickr page: Click Here

Seems that this might have been related to Hydrozoans. I'd previously thought it was part of a Conularia but it doesn't look right. I even asked someone at the Smithsonian to take a look at it years ago but they said there wasn't enough to make a determination.

It never hurts to surf around someone's pics on the web as you never know what you'll find!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Serendipity if my favorite 'tool': those unexpected cold-case closers discovered while looking for something else B)

Well done (and nice fossil)!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Dave I think you need some moisturizer for those fingers.:P Great looking fossil too.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair