Top Trilo

13 hours ago, Misha said:

This is some awesome stuff! I don't generally touch these younger fossils but those are some really beautiful ones, this formation is amazing.

I also didn't know there were gastropods found there, very interesting!

Thanks. As far as non-paleozoic fossils go, the Florissant Formation is one of the best. In Colorado we don't have many of the awesome Paleozoic exposures that exist out east but I'm not complaining about some of the younger ones we do have. I'm glad you like them.

12 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

The Miocene flora points to warmer weather. Plus Alaska has PLENTY of bugs now :default_rofl:

I can't even escape the bugs if I go to Alaska! Sounds like your Miocene site would have been a nice place to visit. Warmer weather, no bugs, plus its not too crowded. Except that one wasp that won't leave you alone.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

I can't even escape the bugs if I go to Alaska! Sounds like your Miocene site would have been a nice place to visit. Warmer weather, no bugs, plus its not too crowded. Except that one wasp that won't leave you alone.

The site is nice as there are no mosquitoes :yay-smiley-1:but sometimes the darn beach flies can be a pain.

• Enjoyed 1

21 hours ago, Crusty_Crab said:

In short, even though they are both classified as Eocene, there is around 18 million years of difference. For perspective, it would be like comparing the present day fauna to that of the Miocene. 

Not just 18 million years but also the same 300 miles and 1000 vertical feet or more or so that separates them now.  Look at how different the two areas are right now.  If I go birdwatching in the two places, I will see very few birds in both spots.  They were also very different lakes.  Also the deposits are much more volcanic at Florissant.  I imagine that alone is the reason for differential preservation.   

(PS, if I had a time machine, I would go birdwatching in the Eocene).

• I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, jpc said:

Not just 18 million years but also the same 300 miles and 1000 vertical feet or more or so that separates them now.  Look at how different the two areas are right now.  If I go birdwatching in the two places, I will see very few birds in both spots.  They were also very different lakes.  Also the deposits are much more volcanic at Florissant.  I imagine that alone is the reason for differential preservation.   

(PS, if I had a time machine, I would go birdwatching in the Eocene).

Thanks JP, I can see how the two are not very similar. 

Birdwatching in the Eocene sounds nice, if a time machine ever gets in your possession, take me along. :P

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)