Lower Glen Rose Echinoids from the Canyon Lake Area

whackman23

• New Members

Hello, this is my first post here on The Fossil Forum.  I recently went fossil hunting in the Glen Rose formation near Canyon Lake, looking for echinoids and other invertebrates.  I did end up finding a few and tried to identify them myself, but I would appreciate confirmation from somebody more experienced than me.

image.thumb.jpeg.764bee738aa7dc247538f771e172a290.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.37fc6c13f643760c8adeb53b932844ba.jpeg

Is the fossil in the images above Heteraster obliquatus?

I also found an echinoid that looks to me like Paracidaris texanus.

image.thumb.jpeg.ffe0666354d2ab85a11aa29d3d565bea.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.45e1557eb4ed17e7bd19729e20414e41.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7213e7505ee1cb02c1255500f7fd0d76.jpeg

This specimen has foraminifera tests and other bits of limestone still attached to its underside, but I don’t know enough about preparing fossils to work on it right now.  Finding these was super fun, and eventually I’d like to learn how to clean them up properly.  Any help in identification would be much appreciated!

• Enjoyed 6

@erose

@Uncle Siphuncle

Welcome and congratulations @whackman23!  Your cidarid appears to check the boxes for Paracidaris texanus (?) as described in William Morgan's, Collector's Guide to Texas Cretaceous Echinoids.  Some of us still know this echinoid as Phyllacanthus texanus Whitney & Kellum, 1966.  It is a very uncommon find as a complete specimen.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oh, my!  You've just found an echinoid that many of us required years to find in that condition.  Generally you'll find 1000 common Kgr echs before landing a cidarid.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• New Members

Wow that’s awesome!  Thank you JohnJ and Uncle Siphuncle for identifying the fossil for me.  I’m just getting into fossil hunting and it has been super cool to learn about how to go about it.  It’s kind of addicting, learning about the different geological formations and associated paleo environments, and then actually going out there to find the remains of past life.  I see that I got very lucky!

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, whackman23 said:

Wow that’s awesome!  Thank you JohnJ and Uncle Siphuncle for identifying the fossil for me.  I’m just getting into fossil hunting and it has been super cool to learn about how to go about it.  It’s kind of addicting, learning about the different geological formations and associated paleo environments, and then actually going out there to find the remains of past life.  I see that I got very lucky!

If you go out and try to find another, after a few years you'll begin to understand just how lucky you got! Nice find.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

There’s been a weird trend as of late of newbies to echinoid hunting finding complete cidarids- awesome find!

• Enjoyed 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg