Spray on super glue recommendation.

jikohr

I'm trying to stabilize a mammoth molar with some really bad flaking. It's currently on a large piece of cardboard and I was hoping to stabilize one side, turn it over and do the other. I've tried dribbling on cyanoacrylate on a similar piece and it didn't come out well as I couldn't get an even coat. I figure something I can spray and let sit would be my best bet to get an even coat. Does anyone know a good spray on super glue for stabilizing fossils?

I'm not aware of a good spray on super glue for this but is there a reason you haven't considered an acetone soluble consolidant like Paraloid or Butvar?

• I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I'm not aware of a good spray on super glue for this but is there a reason you haven't considered an acetone soluble consolidant like Paraloid or Butvar?

A very good reason, I have absolutely no idea what those are.

Please pardon my ignorance on this, fossil prep involving stabilization is something I am very new to.

30 minutes ago, jikohr said:

A very good reason, I have absolutely no idea what those are.

Please pardon my ignorance on this, fossil prep involving stabilization is something I am very new to.

You could study this for starters :)

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I would recommend getting a good consolidant. Paraloid B-72 is pretty easy to get a hold of these days and I'm sure it will come in handy in the future. An appropriately diluted penetrating mixture can be made with acetone and you can soak the tooth in it. There's lots of good information on consolidants in the forum if you search but if you have any other questions just let us know.

• I found this Informative 1