Interesting Cretaceous Period Marine Fossil Find

Rockin' Ric

Found on a regular fossil hunting excursion. Each trip there's always an interesting fossils that turn up from sifting. Any ideas on both objects?

The one on the bottom left appears to be coral but not sure how much coral was prevalent during the Cretaceous Period? Been to this site a lot and this is the first find of anything like it.

The top right I'm getting comments that it's a partial mouthplate of a fish? Any help with ID is appreciated. Thank y'all!

20220714_220710.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

I believe that the lower left specimen is likely to be a fragment from the tail of an ichthyodectid fish. The other is something I don't recognize. Dave 

• I Agree 1

Still curious about the right most fossil because I'm totally stumped - can you include some photos of the broken sides? 

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

7 hours ago, Rockin' Ric said:

The top right I'm getting comments that it's a partial mouthplate of a fish?

Possibly to a lungfish.

@Carl

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The bone on the right is part of a Plethodid parasphenoid bone. Here’s a similar one from the Oceans of Kansas website.

D81BF492-789B-40CE-AB47-1FFB7CAF8090.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

A paleotologist from Mississippi confirmed that is a fragment of a tooth plate of a Plethodid fish. Thanks guys and thanks Al Dente for the confirmation as well. Learn something new everyday from the Fossil Forum Community!

More pics of the sides and bottom. 

20220715_165450.thumb.jpg.996938bbb3ac3440189ee5bef06da20e.jpg20220715_165551.thumb.jpg.55cc006a585e3c834c9965b2dab7ad62.jpg20220715_165450.thumb.jpg.996938bbb3ac3440189ee5bef06da20e.jpg

20220715_165516.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils