States (in the U.S.) Where Trilobites Have and have not been Found

Top Trilo

Here is a more comprehensive list of North Dakota Trilobites from lower Ordovician drill cores:

image.thumb.png.3c3ce9882ea2ab5facad9e2bbd1b1f3c.png

Lochman-Balk, C., Wilson, J.L. 1967

Stratigraphy of Upper Cambrian-Lower Ordovician Subsurface Sequence in Williston Basin.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Bulletin, 51(6):883-917

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

20 hours ago, piranha said:

At long last......the 10 year old link is broken no more! electric smiley :P

Hooray! Cheers bud!

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Rare trilobites have been found in Citronelle chert gravels of Thompson Creek, West Feliciana Parish, and rest of eastern Louisiana. A Louisiana trilobite can be found in the last page of "Fossil Hunting in Louisiana Gravels" by Dr. J. Schiebout and others. These chert gravels came down the paleo-Tennessee when it emptied directly into the Gulf of Mexico from the Nashville Dome.

Yours,

Paul H.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

On 7/26/2022 at 11:29 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Possible I suppose but highly unlikely.  The few trilobites from South Carolina came from a very localized area within a highly deformed schist formation, where the rock was not quite as deformed and metamorphosed.  The equivalent formation in North Carolina is even more metamorphosed.  The main South Carolina site was a very small roadcut, mostly exposed in a ditch on a very small road near Batesburg.  I visited the site a few years ago and and found no trace of the roadcut remaining.  Other localities in the area consisted of erratic boulders, not actual bedrock exposures.

Don

It's possible NC has some out west. The Chilhowee Group has produced trilobites very close to the NC border in Tennessee, Georgia, and Virginia, but granted most of those were on the western side of the Blue Ridge. I believe the Chilhowee does outcrop in NC, but haven't heard much about it. The Wilhite Formation in far eastern TN has also produced trilobites, and I believe that formation may be exposed in parts of western NC, but I'm not entirely sure on that. 

Chilhowee Group; Upper Chilhowee (NCCAcu;2) (usgs.gov)

If you want NC trilobites, this sounds like the formation to go looking for.

Edited by EMP