A Loon Carpometacarpus From N. Fl Pleistocene

Auspex

This is a carpometacarpus (the fused bones in the "hand" of the bird) from Gavia immer (Common Loon), from a N. FL Pleistocene location.

The carpometacarpus (along with the tarsometatarsus, or fused foot bones) is the bone most easily recognized as being from a bird. In most cases, it is also readily IDed to at least the family level, and usually to the genus level if the preservation is good.

On this one, the preservation is very good (the thin bone ["metacarpal III"] doesn't often survive), having suffered only superficial abrasion. The colors aren't bad, either. B)

post-423-12711039634341_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is a carpometacarpus (the fused bones in the "hand" of the bird) from Gavia immer (Common Loon), from a N. FL Pleistocene location.

The carpometacarpus (along with the tarsometatarsus, or fused foot bones) is the bone most easily recognized as being from a bird. In most cases, it is also readily IDed to at least the family level, and usually to the genus level if the preservation is good.

On this one, the preservation is very good (the thin bone ["metacarpal III"] doesn't often survive), having suffered only superficial abrasion. The colors aren't bad, either. B)

Nice little bird bone, Chas! I think of loons as nawthin' birds, but I see that there are at least six species reported from Florida! But, what is a "palmer" view? Is that a bonar to go with your bone? :rolleyes:

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

...what is a "palmer" view?

:blush: When spelled correctly (palmar), it designates the "palm" side of a bird's hand...

Thanks for pointing out my errer. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, I have seen quite of few examples of that bone in Kern County (California) tar pit material, and you're right about that thin bone being broken most of the time.

Very cool B) Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen a bone like that before. Info assimilated :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Auspex..... Well done getting a complete one.... Its gone to a good home....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

That's awesome!

Loons summer up north, but spend the winters on the eastern shore.

There's usually a nesting pair in the area I live, and they like to fly around in the morning doing their totally strange calls...

Tim